Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bodes, by the light of a silvery moon

wimvb

This is a "you take it while you can" image. Data captured two nights ago with almost a full moon. Total integration time 4 hours (80 minutes per channel, RGB only)

Telescope: SkyWatcher 190MN

Camera: ZWO ASI294MM at -20 C, gain 0.

Processed with PixInsight

M81_PCC_RGB_1.thumb.jpg.3c73207ab116e8cafc27d88e3bb0af2f.jpg

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, gorann said:

The big achievement Wim is that you also caught Holmberg under a full moon -  I can see it!

Thanks, Göran. Not only Holmberg. I have captured a few small galaxies that are several billion light years away. I have annotated them in this image (red brown tags, the blue tag is for a globular cluster that is part of M81). The small galaxy near the top is approximately 1.7 Bly distant, and the one near the bottom 4 Bly, according to a simple Hubble model (no relativistic effects taken into account).

M81_PCC_RGB_crop.thumb.jpg.14a53c0fa6119fe5f80e17d5e7eeff34.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Never knew that was there... few we faint fuzzies in the background also. Lovely image. 

Thanks, Paul. As I already wrote in my reply to Göran, there are quite a few very distant galaxies in this image, that are further away than the usual "faint fuzzies".

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Thanks, Paul. As I already wrote in my reply to Göran, there are quite a few very distant galaxies in this image, that are further away than the usual "faint fuzzies".

Yes.. I can see another 4 or 5 in your image. 

Edited by paul mc c
  • Like 1

4Bly, that’s almost approaching JWST territory, and no scary launch to contend with.😉

Very nice M81 BTW, the MN190 is demonstrating it’s capabilities once again, folks shouldn’t give up on DSO imaging when the moon is up.

• Like 2

A great image Wim and the feint galaxies are almost insignificant until you start to think how far away they actually are and how long ago those photons started their journey, how long they travelled and to end up on your CMOS sensor that just amazes me every time. I start to think of it.

Well done 🙂 

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Thanks, Göran. Not only Holmberg. I have captured a few small galaxies that are several billion light years away. I have annotated them in this image (red brown tags, the blue tag is for a globular cluster that is part of M81). The small galaxy near the top is approximately 1.7 Bly distant, and the one near the bottom 4 Bly, according to a simple Hubble model (no relativistic effects taken into account).

M81_PCC_RGB_crop.thumb.jpg.14a53c0fa6119fe5f80e17d5e7eeff34.jpg

Yes, like Steve it also struck me how old these photons are. 4 billion ly means that we see that galaxy as it looked like just a few years after our solar system was formed...... Clear skies over here so I am collecting old photons right now😁

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gorann said:

Yes, like Steve it also struck me how old these photons are. 4 billion ly means that we see that galaxy as it looked like just a few years after our solar system was formed...... Clear skies over here so I am collecting old photons right now😁

Good luck eith your project. Unexpected clear skies here as well, at least for a few hours. I'm collecting Ha for an M82 image. May stitch it to M81 and make a mosaic out of it.

• Like 3