Jump to content

Banner.jpg.5ed196c1e70861ebc79109e023c96067.jpg

Interesting video


Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

If you look carefully at the sequence showing only 6 months activity … it’s interesting to see 4 possibly 5+ flashes of light emitting from the epicentre region of this black hole.

Doesn’t this suggest light can escape the Event Horizon as possibly smaller stars or dark matter we can’t see are being sucked in and destroyed?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the flashes just material approaching the event horizon on 'our' side of the black hole, or the light paths of any radiation emitted are sufficiently curved and warped that they could have originated from a few regions, somewhere around the spherical edge ?  ( that is, if black holes are spherical, my Einstein-Kerr mathematics is not up to scratch these days... ;) ).

I think the flashes are probably material harvested from the stellar near misses.  
 

With all that action going on there must be a possibility of two stars colliding with each other, spectacularly !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Drifter said:

If you look carefully at the sequence showing only 6 months activity … it’s interesting to see 4 possibly 5+ flashes of light emitting from the epicentre region of this black hole.

Doesn’t this suggest light can escape the Event Horizon as possibly smaller stars or dark matter we can’t see are being sucked in and destroyed?

 

By definition, light cannot be leaving the BH. 

There are two far more plausible explanations for those flashes, neither of which breaks the laws of physics.

  • Infalling matter producing short lived accretion discs outside the EH which heat up and produce emissions
  • Gravitational lensing of light from stars that are moving behind the BH - as they pass behind it, the light can be brought round to momentarily be concentrated in our direction.  

By the way, Dark Matter can't directly produce light, as it is not susceptible to the EM force. 

Edited by Gfamily
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most odd … a reply I dropped earlier in answer to Craney seems to have been removed? … it basically said:

On 16/01/2022 at 07:00, Craney said:

Are the flashes just material approaching the event horizon on 'our' side of the black hole, or the light paths of any radiation emitted are sufficiently curved and warped that they could have originated from a few regions, somewhere around the spherical edge ?  ( that is, if black holes are spherical, my Einstein-Kerr mathematics is not up to scratch these days... ;) ).

I think the flashes are probably material harvested from the stellar near misses.  
 

With all that action going on there must be a possibility of two stars colliding with each other, spectacularly !!

If the material was gravitationally stripped debris harvested from stellar near misses wouldn’t we see a sustained ‘burn’ event rather than large super explosions suggesting planets/stars/moons/dark matter of some sort being consumed?

Would love to have had a ring-side seat to that event! V. spectacular.

19 hours ago, Gfamily said:

By definition, light cannot be leaving the BH. 

There are two far more plausible explanations for those flashes, neither of which breaks the laws of physics.

  • Infalling matter producing short lived accretion discs outside the EH which heat up and produce emissions
  • Gravitational lensing of light from stars that are moving behind the BH - as they pass behind it, the light can be brought round to momentarily be concentrated in our direction.  

By the way, Dark Matter can't directly produce light, as it is not susceptible to the EM force. 

I respect your explanations … but wonder if the first would produce enough material for the dramatic ‘explosion’ events observed? I considered the second idea … objects lensing from behind the BH but saw the tight bunching of these events and therefore didn’t think it applied in this case.

If you can source better quality video footage  to support that … or observations of other BH doing the same … I’m always open to being convinced. Guess there won’t be any radiation data supporting planets being stripped from these stars and trashed? 

Btw, wise not to be restricted by ‘definitions’ or currently known ‘laws of physics’ that shift radically each decade … and possibly with each fresh observation! …. I hope the Moderators on here are open to members challenging ‘Establishment Theory’ with good evidence? … 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought … could there be an instant - as huge worlds are stripped away from their lower gravity orbits around passing stars (whose momentum prevents the star itself being sucked in and destroyed in the black hole) - where the worlds and their moons are being torn apart and vaporised before full transition through the Event Horizon … it makes sense that fleeting flashes of light could escape the periphery as Craney hinted … just before ‘full consumption’??🤔

This article seems to dispel the notion EVERYTHING is swallowed in, destroyed and can’t escape from a black hole.

https://scitechdaily.com/black-holes-have-tantrums-and-scientists-have-finally-captured-the-gamma-rays-from-such-ultra-fast-outflows/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/01/2022 at 08:30, Drifter said:

This article seems to dispel the notion EVERYTHING is swallowed in, destroyed and can’t escape from a black hole.

https://scitechdaily.com/black-holes-have-tantrums-and-scientists-have-finally-captured-the-gamma-rays-from-such-ultra-fast-outflows/

My understanding is that anything beyond the Event Horizon is lost, but plenty can happen at or near the boundary which would then appear to be escaping from the black hole. I thought this was fairly well accepted now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black holes evaporate over time, via Hawking radiation where photons quantum tunnel thru the gravity barrier. However this occurs over lifetime of the universe timescales. The recent Universe series has a good discussions on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Black holes evaporate over time, via Hawking radiation where photons quantum tunnel thru the gravity barrier. However this occurs over lifetime of the universe timescales. The recent Universe series has a good discussions on this.

The process for Hawking Radiation is not via Quantum Tunnelling, but you're right that the timescales are enormous, and the larger the BH the longer the time needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gfamily said:

The process for Hawking Radiation is not via Quantum Tunnelling, but you're right that the timescales are enormous, and the larger the BH the longer the time needed. 

In "A Brief History of Time" the mechanism described is the event horizon interfering with the "normal" quantum creation/destruction of virtual particle/antiparticle pairs: instead of the pair mutually annihilating in short order, it's possible that one could be lost over the event horizon and the other escape. Because the pair are prevented from disappearing, they can't "repay" the mass-energy borrowed to create them, which must instead be taken from the black hole to conserve overall mass-energy.

This seemed to make sense when I read it, but years later I saw an article that said Hawking had admitted that this description of Hawking radiation was factually incorrect, but he wrote it for the book because the real explanation was too complicated!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gfamily said:

The process for Hawking Radiation is not via Quantum Tunnelling, but you're right that the timescales are enormous, and the larger the BH the longer the time needed. 

Quantum tunnelling is a mechanism via which Hawking radiation could operate, see:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahep/2014/168487/

and there are many hits. The precise mechanism is still hypothetical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

.

This seemed to make sense when I read it, but years later I saw an article that said Hawking had admitted that this description of Hawking radiation was factually incorrect, but he wrote it for the book because the real explanation was too complicated!

Thanks for that.  

It led me to look for a better explanation, and I think this may be one.

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Hawking_radiation#The_origin_of_Hawking_radiation

I'll need to read (and re-read) a lot to make sense of it. 🤯

Edited by Gfamily
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Quantum tunnelling is a mechanism via which Hawking radiation could operate, see:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahep/2014/168487/

and there are many hits. The precise mechanism is still hypothetical.

Interesting.

When I was a student, QT was a way of particles crossing a higher potential barrier between two low potential domains.

This isn't what applies across the Event Horizon of a BH. so I'll need to reconsider my understanding. 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.