NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I see a bunch of black spots through my telescope

Try rotating your eyepiece. It could be dust particles on the field lens. As you rotate the eyepiece the black dots will rotate too. If you're using a refractor you could also check your diagonal mirror doesn't have dust on it.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5

On 20/11/2021 at 19:00, Lukelak said:

I just started using my brand new telescope but when I looked at the moon I saw a bunch of dark spots and at first I thought that they were the moon’s craters but I still see them even when I’m not looking at the moon

hi, Welcome to SGL. It would help us if you let us know more details about your new telescope - model, lenses used etc.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

Most likely dust motes on the field lens of the eyepiece because it is closest to the focal plane and thus are most nearly in focus.  Take the eyepiece out of the focuser, flip it around, and look at the bottom lens.  It should be fairly simple to clean them off once you identify them.

Get yourself a good strong puffer! Don’t blow the particles yourself or you may add to the problem. A good strong puff with clean air will shift any particles, just hold the glass surface upside down so any debris will fall downwards.

Here’s mine.

chaz

CCB22AFD-C190-457D-8D97-FC77AA8EED87.jpeg

An excellent response with helpful comments from numerous SGL members.
As always happens with new member questions..

The OP, after posting on November 20th has not replied. Actually has not visited SGL since November 22nd. Over a week ago.🥴

On behalf of the OP, I will say a big thank you to you all.👍👏
I am sure the thread will prove useful to others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 30/11/2021 at 22:30, Carbon Brush said:

An excellent response with helpful comments from numerous SGL members.
As always happens with new member questions..

The OP, after posting on November 20th has not replied. Actually has not visited SGL since November 22nd. Over a week ago.🥴

On behalf of the OP, I will say a big thank you to you all.👍👏
I am sure the thread will prove useful to others.

This actually is a great thing about people asking questions, others will benefit from the answers

@JohnF-R. Are the spots reasonably in focus, as the OP? Inside rhe rear lens?
If so, the The Hyperions can have the 1.25" section unscrewed, no tools required. That is (from memory) all but the 24mm.

Usually if you get hold tightly at the top & bottom of the barrel, the barrel will unscrew, giving further access.

HTH, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush

Lucky (or unlucky) for you, the BHs were designed to be separated.  Unfortunately, it leads to dust getting inside as you've found out.  Most likely, they're on the bottom of the bottom lens of the upper section or on the top of the top lens in the lower section.  Use a bright light at an angle to the glass to get a better look.

spacer.png