Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First eyepiece clean

Andy350

On 18/11/2021 at 22:32, ONIKKINEN said:

I definitely don't have a 5cm long scratch on my primary mirror coating because a pressurized air can launched a projectile towards it while "gently" cleaning my secondary. Small scuffs probably wont matter for mirrors, but still lesson learned.

The pros sometimes use high powered CO2 from something like a Fire Extinguisher to clean their huge mirrors with no ill effects.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, vagk said:

Hi

How do you remove stucked dust particles that do not come off while blowing?

Try soaking them with cleanser from a damp cloth to dissolve them.  You may need to try several different solvents.  You can even put a bit of saliva on the tip of your finger and work it into the spot in case it's organic, like tree sap.  You can even try your fingernail if all else fails to try and pop it off.  Your nail is way too soft to damage either the glass or coatings; however, the adhesion of the spot could take some of the coating with it, so no guarantees.  Dissolving is generally your best bet.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2021 at 16:22, Second Time Around said:

To get rid of anything loose, I first use a squeezable blower followed by a soft brush.  These items are available very cheaply on Amazon or eBay etc.

I then use Zeiss lens wipes, again from Amazon or eBay etc.  The great advantage of these are that they're sealed and disposable.  So, unlike cleaning cloths, you can be certain that they're always clear of dust or grit that could damage a lens.

I don't know why I never thought of this.  They work very well on my riflescopes and there is no reason to think they wouldn't work on eyepieces.