SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First eyepiece clean

Andy350

I've got a few small marks, maybe I've touched a lens, this is on two of the lenses.  Can someone please point me to a good cleaning kit for them?  I think it's mainly on the outer part, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt cleaning properly.  I've read that you can take them apart, maybe something for the future.

• Like 1

I use the Baader fluid and their micro-fibre cloth (which is washable). I bought this kit some years ago and it has lasted for ages. If you can avoid taking the eyepiece apart, I would although it is feasible with the simpler designs (eg: Kellner, Plossl, Ortho):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

Always apply the fluid via the cloth rather than directly to the eyepiece lens (the instructions say this). It is all too easy to apply too much fluid which can then work it's way between lens elements though capillary action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what I use. Have been using it for many years and does a great job and my eyieces are all optically as new. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-set-cleaning-fluid-and-cloth.html

Edit:

Beat me to it. 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy350 said:

I can use my mobile air compressor which I use when painting scale models.

Noooooh don't do that, the high powered jets can blast dust so quickly it effectively becomes a sand blaster.

You could try a super soft brush to "gently" dust away any particle, I use one of these to do this prior to cleaning. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/celestron-lens-pen.html

A very gentle buffing with this before cleaning with the baader wonder fluid and cloth as mentioned above by the 2 john's. 

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Noooooh don't do that, the high powered jets can blast dust so quickly it effectively becomes a sand blaster.

You could try a super soft brush to "gently" dust away any particle, I use one of these to do this prior to cleaning. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/celestron-lens-pen.html

A very gentle buffing with this before cleaning with the baader wonder fluid and cloth as mentioned above by the 2 john's. 

I'll get a lens pen too.  the modelling air brushes are not that high powered.  I can set the output from 0-60 PSI.

• Like 1

Lens pens work once, they are not self cleaning. Wouldn't recommend them.

Correct way to clean an eyepiece is to bulb blow the dust off. Use a good quality Q-tip that has no scents or lotions added and spray the Q-tip with Baader fluid till wet. Holding the eyepiece upside down clean around the edge of the lens, (reason for holding it upside down is to prevent any spill-off of fluid going inside the eyepiece.) Fresh Q-tip, wetted as before, gently clean from the centre outwards. Don't use more than one stroke with any one side of the Q-tip.(I use about 6 Q-tips per eyepiece.) When done, gently wipe with clean Baader cloth. Tip, don't use both sides of a Baader cloth. The side your hand touches will just smear more grease from your fingers on to the eyepiece.👍

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Lens pens work once, they are not self cleaning. Wouldn't recommend them.

Correct way to clean an eyepiece is to bulb blow the dust off. Use a good quality Q-tip that has no scents or lotions added and spray the Q-tip with Baader fluid till wet. Holding the eyepiece upside down clean around the edge of the lens, (reason for holding it upside down is to prevent any spill-off of fluid going inside the eyepiece.) Fresh Q-tip, wetted as before, gently clean from the centre outwards. Don't use more than one stroke with any one side of the Q-tip.(I use about 6 Q-tips per eyepiece.) When done, gently wipe with clean Baader cloth. Tip, don't use both sides of a Baader cloth. The side your hand touches will just smear more grease from your fingers on to the eyepiece.👍

Do you wash the cloth ones all eyepieces are done, I've only two so not that urgent for me.

2 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Do you wash the cloth ones

If you mean the Baader lens cloth, then yes, they are washable.

( sorry John, didn't see your post, I'm just repeating you! )

Edited by Franklin
update
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I definitely don't have a 5cm long scratch on my primary mirror coating because a pressurized air can launched a projectile towards it while "gently" cleaning my secondary. Small scuffs probably wont matter for mirrors, but still lesson learned.

To get rid of anything loose, I first use a squeezable blower followed by a soft brush.  These items are available very cheaply on Amazon or eBay etc.

I then use Zeiss lens wipes, again from Amazon or eBay etc.  The great advantage of these are that they're sealed and disposable.  So, unlike cleaning cloths, you can be certain that they're always clear of dust or grit that could damage a lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, vagk said:

Can eyelashes-oil damage lens coatings ? And if yes, how long does it take to damage coatings?

They don't damage the coatings as far as I'm aware but they can cause a lack of clarity and additional light scatter to the views, which is not a good thing.

The Baader fluid and cloth mentioned above should clean them off.