Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

12v dew strips

If it was designed for 12V, then presumably it won't get hot enough with a 5V supply.

If you are good with your hands (and possibly a spreadsheet), there are several resources describing home made strips, usually made from either nichrome resistance wire or sets of discrete resistors, e.g.

https://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2013/05/making-your-own-nichrome-dew-heater-bands/

https://www.dewbuster.com/heater-resistors.html

• Like 1

Sorry about the lack of Hyperlinks ... Not that tech savvy.

search dew heater kiwifotos on amazon ..they are £16.99  and it runs from a USB.

Dewalt USB battery adapter (or Bosch) a Chinese copy is £15 yet again from Amazon

Dewalt 5amp 18 volt battery Chinese copy £30.

I had the deWalt battery and splashed the extra for a pukka Dewalt usb charger, it'll power the above heater band for 8 hours on  the high setting starting from a fully charged battery, it also allows me to use my usb powered EL panel for Lightframes.

• Like 1

If you already have 12V dew heaters, you could probably also find a 5V-to-12V boost converter. If you did, make sure that it can supply sufficient amps and also be aware it'll draw more than twice the current from the 5V supply than it delivers at 12V.

Edited by wulfrun
typo

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

If it was designed for 12V, then presumably it won't get hot enough with a 5V supply.

If you are good with your hands (and possibly a spreadsheet), there are several resources describing home made strips, usually made from either nichrome resistance wire or sets of discrete resistors, e.g.

https://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2013/05/making-your-own-nichrome-dew-heater-bands/

https://www.dewbuster.com/heater-resistors.html

I was thinking that but with step down convertors thought the may be a chance 

1 hour ago, doublevodka said:

Unfortunately every listing has none of the 12v to 5v in only 9v to 5v but this is exactly what I would need if the 12v were available thanks. 

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

I need one for my 5" refractor which had a diameter of 50cm and cannot find them I have sent for one that fits a 4" ones thanks.

39 minutes ago, lardy said:

Sorry about the lack of Hyperlinks ... Not that tech savvy.

search dew heater kiwifotos on amazon ..they are £16.99  and it runs from a USB.

Dewalt USB battery adapter (or Bosch) a Chinese copy is £15 yet again from Amazon

Dewalt 5amp 18 volt battery Chinese copy £30.

I had the deWalt battery and splashed the extra for a pukka Dewalt usb charger, it'll power the above heater band for 8 hours on  the high setting starting from a fully charged battery, it also allows me to use my usb powered EL panel for Lightframes.

I will check these out thanks but I need a 50cm one now

4 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

If you already have 12V dew heaters, you could probably also find a 5V-to-12V boost converter. If you did, make sure that it can supply sufficient amps and also be aware it'll draw more than twice the current from the 5V supply than it delivers at 12V.

I have bought a power bank with two usb`s giving 5v 2.1amps so not sure if I could use one of those thanks.

Just now, wookie1965 said:

I have bought a power bank with two usb`s giving 5v 2.1amps so not sure if I could use one of those thanks.

Yes but the output is then going to be around 0.8A at 12V, using a boost (step-UP) converter. Might not be enough? Just an idea.

2 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Yes but the output is then going to be around 0.8A at 12V, using a boost (step-UP) converter. Might not be enough? Just an idea.

Correct but some converters allow both power bank outputs to be used together so yo can get around 1.6A, I used this type of thing to power my DSLR from a power bank for a while as a single 2.1A input did not give enough output current for the 8V required by the camera.

Alan

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Correct but some converters allow both power bank outputs to be used together so yo can get around 1.6A, I used this type of thing to power my DSLR from a power bank for a while as a single 2.1A input did not give enough output current for the 8V required by the camera.

Alan

Do you know of one that can do that for my dew heaters please I have four 2 for each scope 2 w&w astro ones and two home made ones made from resistors.

25 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I was thinking that but with step down convertors thought the may be a chance 

Unfortunately every listing has none of the 12v to 5v in only 9v to 5v but this is exactly what I would need if the 12v were available thanks. 

I need one for my 5" refractor which had a diameter of 50cm and cannot find them I have sent for one that fits a 4" ones thanks.

I will check these out thanks but I need a 50cm one now

Unless I misunderstood which is totally possible, you need to step up from 5v to 12v so there are option there that would work for you and with a 2.1 amp output on the powerbank you should be good, it's just finding one with the right connector.

Although may be just as easy, and less cabling mess, to sell on the 12v ones and grab something like https://www.svbony.com/dew-heater-strip-for-lens/#W9132C I believe the 480mm one would work with your 5 inch, worth checking the measurements first though

13 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Do you know of one that can do that for my dew heaters please I have four 2 for each scope 2 w&w astro ones and two home made ones made from resistors.

It looks like there are no commercial 5 to 12V versions with the dual inputs that I can find but plenty of the 8V type designed for DSLR use ☹️.

Provided the 12V dew strap takes less than 1A (equates to 12 watts) then the single input version should work OK.

Alan

14 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

It looks like there are no commercial 5 to 12V versions with the dual inputs that I can find but plenty of the 8V type designed for DSLR use ☹️.

Provided the 12V dew strap takes less than 1A (equates to 12 watts) then the single input version should work OK.

Alan

They are w&w astro ones that I will use seems a shame to buy them and now not be able to use them especially as I have sent for a specific USB one for my 4" but cannot find a 50cm one for my 5" so a convertor would be ideal. 

25 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

Unless I misunderstood which is totally possible, you need to step up from 5v to 12v so there are option there that would work for you and with a 2.1 amp output on the powerbank you should be good, it's just finding one with the right connector.

Although may be just as easy, and less cabling mess, to sell on the 12v ones and grab something like https://www.svbony.com/dew-heater-strip-for-lens/#W9132C I believe the 480mm one would work with your 5 inch, worth checking the measurements first though

Yes the 480mm would probably fit my 5" only trouble is these are from the USA if there was a UK outlet that would be brilliant, I have seen a 45cm one but not a SVBONY one.