NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Hyades with Ceres

The largest asteroid Ceres is passing very close to Aldebaran this week. I took this short stacked image of the Hyades (10x2 seconds from a tripod). The position of Ceres ( at 1 Nov 21:00 UT) is marked in the second photo. It shoud move fairly rapidly in the coming days.

Hyades.thumb.jpeg.467a0d08b2f94f00b6a64d69c74d471c.jpeg

InkedHyades_LI.thumb.jpg.4829bf56b7fee0796b37fe04428683ff.jpg

• Like 21

Thanks Nik, that image with the arrow is very helpful, I have pinched it and used it as a circular e-mail ti my astro club.
I hope you don't mind me using it.

I looked at this last night, but could not get my head around which was Ceres or not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Thanks Nik, that image with the arrow is very helpful, I have pinched it and used it as a circular e-mail ti my astro club.
I hope you don't mind me using it.

I looked at this last night, but could not get my head around which was Ceres or not?

Sure, I'm glad that it's useful. I have found the mobile version of Stellarium to be more accurate for positions of asteroids than the desktop version.

• Like 1