Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally i've joined SGL! Is there anybody out there?

mike-h

Hi to all

There may be some clear spells here (the Wirral) over the next few days.

Some advice would be welcome if you have the time-What should be my on my hit list of Messier objects for a south facing garden this week (m42, m45 and m31 are the ones i've seen so far)

Thanks Mike H

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Chris

when I was searching for reviews of the 250px i came across a few posts in SGL about the dobsonian mount on the 250px. Some people had complained of "stickiness" movin it left and right. Some of the forum members (i remember steve from FLO as well as others-there's a good foto series somewhere) mentioned that you can make a small circular washer out of the side of an empty milk carton. You fit this between the 2 wooden base discs (above the teflon washer) at the base of the dob mount.

It raises the gap between the rotating discs ever so slightly which redudes the friction in the 3 other teflon pads. Basically it makes it easier to nudge the dob small distances to the left and right without the jumping big distances.

Mike h

Ah I see Mike, thanks, it makes sense now. I thought I'd missed a handy little tip for an 8" too :blob8:, obviously not as I don't have that problem. I'll remember that though should I move up to a 250. :lol:

Hi Mike, i also brought a Skyliner 250 about three weeks ago also,and since then its been cloudy every night bar one so not had much use so far. If i could recommend things to buy then it would be a Wixey angle gauge, makes life alot easier finding things and also i have come up with the cheap idea of tacing a plastic tape measure on the round base bit that dosen't move to enable me to work out(via a few simple calculations) azimuth, this enabled me last night to find the three clusters in Auriga very quickly

Hi Mike, i also brought a Skyliner 250 about three weeks ago also,and since then its been cloudy every night bar one so not had much use so far. If i could recommend things to buy then it would be a Wixey angle gauge, makes life alot easier finding things and also i have come up with the cheap idea of tacing a plastic tape measure on the round base bit that dosen't move to enable me to work out(via a few simple calculations) azimuth, this enabled me last night to find the three clusters in Auriga very quickly

Bought a Wixey too. Waiting for the chance to put it to good use.Mike

Archived