Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus now.

ItsmeMaw

Yes, it's pretty close to the maximal elongation, which is at the end of October I think. Because it's far away from the Sun you can also find and look at it in the afternoon even before sunset. Binoculars show it easily.

I saw Venus had appeared in a gap between two neighbouring houses 30 mins so threw the 80mm frac up. Being still relatively light I found aligning and focusing quite difficult, but once I got it honed in I was amazed at what I could see.

It’s my first time viewing Venus through a scope and I was quite surprised with the disc size but more so with how defined the phase was. Atmospheric dispersion was quite pronounced but it appeared as a perfect white semi circle with red and blue fringing. No signs of CA which I’m delighted about.

Just Mercury to go!

• Like 1

Venus' dichotomy (half phase - 50% illumination) is expected on October 22. Greatest eastern elongation from the Sun is expected on October 29. The difference in timing is twofold: The orbits of Venus and Earth are slightly eccentric, and observed eastern dichotomy usually occurs about 6 or 7 days earlier then would be expected from geometric calculations, likely due to a Venusian atmospheric effect.

Info-Venus.JPG.18977ed9017ba3eeeaab6d3ba9a24c9b.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 2