Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSD DC Hub Power Supply

I've recently ordered a DC Hub from Deep Sky Dad like the one from the link below:

https://shop.deepskydad.com/product/dc-hub-2/

It doesn't come with a power supply, so I need to order a 12V DC supply which can supply at least 8A, which I can then connect to the mains. I'm not overly keen on spending £60 on the pegasus astro PSU, and there are some available on ebay/amazon for about £20, but not sure if these would be any good. 

Any recommendations would be welcome!

10 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

I have a DSD power hub and had the same q. I've been using https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/power-supply-10a.html#SID=1667 for a year now.

No idea if it's better than the cheaper ones on eBay, but I've had it for over a year and it's still working.

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! It's worth the extra £10 over the ebay option for the peace of mind of knowing it works!

13 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

I have a DSD power hub and had the same q. I've been using https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/power-supply-10a.html#SID=1667 for a year now.

No idea if it's better than the cheaper ones on eBay, but I've had it for over a year and it's still working.

I just noticed that this has a cigarette lighter type connection, how do you then connect that to the hub?

4 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

I do have a shed nearby, but I tend to move my mount around the garden depending on what I'm shooting, so I can avoid street lights/houses/trees etc. So it would probably not be suitable 

7 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

I just noticed that this has a cigarette lighter type connection, how do you then connect that to the hub?

Forgot that - I just chopped the cigarette lighter end off and swapped to the right size connector for the DSD. You can buy them there the wires screw in so no soldering required!

21 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

Forgot that - I just chopped the cigarette lighter end off and swapped to the right size connector for the DSD. You can buy them there the wires screw in so no soldering required!

I use plenty of those solderless connectors! I always dab a bit of hot glue on the screws and wire clamps though so no moisture can get in.

Im pretty sure the DC hub input socket is 5.5 x 2.5 while all the outputs are 5.5 x 2.1. Mine is anyway, unless he's changed the design since.

Edit: Just checked the link and it does appear to be a new version with 5.5 x 2.1 input, same as the outputs. Ignore the above!

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

Ok, that's definitely an option. Do you mean something like this...

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/home-cctv/cctv/cctv-plugs-accessories/4528-easy-wire-power-21mm-dc-plug-for-cctv-cameras-with-screw-terminals-004528-5055383445288.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioodszl9lwRmuAZ8m_Fstu0ZmXlcc-x8GE1Tk7745rp2ZUfIk5GKuaIK7xoC5koQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, Daf1983 said:

Yeah - I got a pack of 10 male/female from somewhere. They're cheap but the issue is the postage costs!

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

I use plenty of those solderless connectors! I always dab a bit of hot glue on the screws and wire clamps though so no moisture can get in.

Im pretty sure the DC hub input socket is 5.5 x 2.5 while all the outputs are 5.5 x 2.1. Mine is anyway, unless he's changed the design since.

Edit: Just checked the link and it does appear to be a new version with 5.5 x 2.1 input, same as the outputs. Ignore the above!

Mine is 2.5mm for the input - but I got it over a year ago. 

I like the fact I can't accidentally get them the wrong way around!

• Thanks 1