NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Camera mod :-)

Robculm

Hi All,

Keeping in mind these are both minimal data (~1h of 5 min subs), no calibration frames, 5 min processing in Startools & yes, I still have some star shape issues to resolve 🙄.

But I was so excited with the result I wanted to share! 😁

M33 obviously. Before & after the camera mod (by Andy Ellis http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/). Received it back yesterday & despite the questionable forecast, managed an hour of reasonably clear sky...

1933121493_M33startoolsjpgedited.thumb.jpg.12a1213f0d037b7d24d81257b937487b.jpg1588805512_M33cameramodjpg.thumb.jpg.643ff989b0fd45e9321c47fcc771a89d.jpg

• Like 8

Just to add, I realise of course that this is perhaps not the best target for showing off an IR filter mod! I'm looking forward to using it on something like the horsehead nebula in due course... But that said, making something red even redder is perhaps not as exciting as showing the colour where it's just not visible pre-mod!

I excitedly showed the 2 images to my daughter this morning & she said she prefers the 'blue' image! 🤣

Edited by Robculm
  • Haha 2

Ha, yes, the terminology is somewhat confusing. I didn't have the full spectrum mod, so I guess you could call it the Ha mod, yes.

Now I just need to resolve my star shape problem (which looks like a collimation issue after some more fumbling around with alan keys in the dark last night!)...

23 hours ago, Robculm said:

Before & after

Hi

Excellent. Love it. Removal of the hot mirror really does make the red hit you.

18 minutes ago, Robculm said:

star shape problem

Loosen the mirror clips (even better, remove them and fix the mirror to the cell using silicone sealant) and have a look at the individual frames. Remove any which have elongated, fat or nudged-double stars. Or just run it through ST's Repair module.

Oh, and don't forget to remove the stacking artefacts from around the edges of the stack a good few pixels more than you think;)

Cheers

Edited by alacant

So which "hot mirror" do you to remove ?

The # LPF-1 filter passes the visual band and rejects IR, so this remains in place in a Ha mod.

If you remove that and the #LPF-2 filter you have a Full Spectrum mod.

The  #LPF-2  filter is a visual band filter that partly attenuates the Ha end of the spectrum, so only that one is removed for a Ha mod.

Michael

36 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

which "hot mirror"

Don't want to hijak the OP's thread but anyway,..

If you're still not sure, when you're inside, you'll see that the hot mirror has a blue colour to it. On an eos, it's the sandwiched one. 

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Cheers and HTH.

9 minutes ago, Ohgodwherediditgo said:

Did you use a filter for either ? I recently modded my 1000D the same way and now considering a Badder Neodymium in a Bortle 5.

No, didn't use a filter for either.

I do have a UHC (Explore Scientific) which I've previously been using on nebula targets. Will certainly be experimenting with that on the modded camera at some point. Hopefully there's now enough Ha transmission to warrant it reduntant. Problem I found is that although it certainly helped exagerate the Ha (pre-mod) you lose the natural star colour, rendering them all either blue or red as you're essentially blocking everything in between!