Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jupiter 8th oct 4" refractor

neil phillips

16 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Your pics are amazing. I have a Starwave 4" f/11 and although the view through the eyepiece is great, seeing permitting, it's nothing like your images. You must have nailed the planetary imaging technique. 👍

Hi Franklin. Been imaging over 20 years. First started using sony camcorders on a 7" Mak eyepeice. Though now my cameras are a lot better. Seeing was good.  Testing the Starwave last night with a 9mm eyepeice shows nice patterns. With textbook collimation. Reminds me of  the patterns i was seeing with my  Meade 7" F15 Maksutov. Very tight images. Do you have the white or red one ? 

Thanks for the comments much appreciated

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Do you have the white or red one ? 

Mine is the Ascent 102ED f/11 in white. Managed a star test with a 6mm BCO and Solar Continuum filter and the extra-focal patterns were very encouraging. Inside focus was almost textbook but at outside focus the pattern was a little less defined, so there may be a hint of spherical aberration but I'm not complaining, the views are stunning when the seeing allows. I watched an Io shadow transit the other week and it all looked etched. Very nice refractors for the money. 👍

17 hours ago, Franklin said:

Mine is the Ascent 102ED f/11 in white. Managed a star test with a 6mm BCO and Solar Continuum filter and the extra-focal patterns were very encouraging. Inside focus was almost textbook but at outside focus the pattern was a little less defined, so there may be a hint of spherical aberration but I'm not complaining, the views are stunning when the seeing allows. I watched an Io shadow transit the other week and it all looked etched. Very nice refractors for the money. 👍

This is the non ED glass version here. (Schott i believe though not certain ? or other quality glass )  Star testing One side is often better than the other. Ive yet to see any scope identical. The holy grail.  I think these doublets came before the ED versions hit these shores. Smilar performance. With a tad less colour correction. Yes nice tight contrasty refractors. At a very good price

Edited by neil phillips

4 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yes nice tight contrasty refractors. At a very good price

Definitely agree with that, I'm very pleased with this one. I've never heard any bad reports on these scopes, ED or Achro. Might even be tempted to get a webcam and have a dabble in the near future. Solar/Lunar snapshots?

1 minute ago, Franklin said:

Definitely agree with that, I'm very pleased with this one. I've never heard any bad reports on these scopes, ED or Achro. Might even be tempted to get a webcam and have a dabble in the near future. Solar/Lunar snapshots?

Yes you should try Franklin. It sounds like you would enjoy it. Many cheap good cameras available now. Good luck if you try. And thanks again for the nice comments

• Thanks 1

Wow very nice, I have to ask, is that Suffolk, NY or the UK/some other UK colony? Tell me it's NY and you can tell me of a good dark site out there :D

There's one place out by Montauk I want to try but I think I gotta go way outside of NYC, west, to get good dark sites.

16 minutes ago, HiveIndustries said:

Wow very nice, I have to ask, is that Suffolk, NY or the UK/some other UK colony? Tell me it's NY and you can tell me of a good dark site out there :D

There's one place out by Montauk I want to try but I think I gotta go way outside of NYC, west, to get good dark sites.

Hi sorry no UK here. Planets dont really need dark sky. Though the outer planets might benefit. I have a bright yellow sodium lamp going right into my garden here. It really only effects the  sky background in images. Deepsky is another matter. And dark skies benefit a lot of course.

7 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi sorry no UK here. Planets dont really need dark sky. Though the outer planets might benefit. I have a bright yellow sodium lamp going right into my garden here. It really only effects the  sky background in images. Deepsky is another matter. And dark skies benefit a lot of course.

I mean, that's really all I get to see, at all, in Bortle 9. Just saw the word "Suffolk" and was like, "maybe he knows good spots?" :)

I'll figure out the best local spots on long island when I get involved in some more in-person stuff out there. In spire of the entire island being Bortle 8+ there appears to be some good stuff and shops out there. I think the best of the best is driving 1.5 hours for a Bortle 4-5.

• Like 1