NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SVBony SV205 help please

Is it me or is it the camera? The attached picture is all I get now on the laptop.  The scope is centered on some tree tops half a mile away in bright daylight. I have not had this issue before but despite all I try the image is all I can get.  I have played with exposure / gain etc in sharpcap but no good.  I thought I would ask first as I have not had this issue before and could see the trees fine before today. I am still within my return window but wanted to see if this is a faulty camera issue or just me being stupid.  Thank you

IMG_7667.JPG

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Does the same problem occur when you use a different capture software ? (Firecapture)

Not tried other software. Just looked at downloading Firecapture but not sure it is compatible with Svbony cameras. It is not listed.

OK, progress. Downloaded Astrodmx and have picture of the trees ok on screen using auto exposure and auto gain. Closed that then went back to Sharpcap and I now have image there too.  Not sure why. I closed and reopened sharpcap several times before.  So the annoying thing now is I got it working but have not got a clue how or what was wrong before.  Thanks for the help though. 

1 minute ago, Starslayer said:

OK, progress. Downloaded Astrodmx and have picture of the trees ok on screen using auto exposure and auto gain. Closed that then went back to Sharpcap and I now have image there too.  Not sure why. I closed and reopened sharpcap several times before.  So the annoying thing now is I got it working but have not got a clue how or what was wrong before.  Thanks for the help though. 

It could be that you messed up the exposure settings in Sharpcap and then used auto settings in Astrodmx which then restored the camera's settings which Sharpcap then used inturn.

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It could be that you messed up the exposure settings in Sharpcap and then used auto settings in Astrodmx which then restored the camera's settings which Sharpcap then used inturn.

HAHA. Maybe, maybe not.  VERY annoying that I will probably never know.  Will delete the Firecapture thing now as I could. not get that working with this camera.  Thank you again. 

4 minutes ago, Fegato said:

I have occasionally got weird images like that in the day time when massively overexposed in Sharpcap, so certainly could be that

Thank you. Still seems ok today.  Also locked on to Jupiter last night for a few minutes between clouds. These things are sent to try us. 

Edited by Starslayer

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

Keep working on your abstract photography technique, it might be worth millions in the NFT art market someday. 😉

That would not surprise me.  Some of this supposed "ART" confuses the hell out of me sometimes. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JonCarleton said:

I've always had good customer service from SVBONY...and the folks at AstroDMxCapture as well.  Good luck with the 205!

Thank you.   I came across Astrodmx by accident as a result of this issue. Most seem to recommend sharpcap.  Is there much difference? 

AstroDMxCapture isn't as widely used, but the programmer is very dedicated and did a lot of work with SVBONY when their cameras first came out.  It is probably because of AstroDMxCapture that the SDC exists for SVBONY cameras.

I am a Linux user, so I have never used SharpCap, but I have don't a lot of imaging with AstroDMxCapture, and it works well.  It is especially good for planetary imaging in the video mode.  The Linux and Windows versions of AstroDMxCapture work exactly the same and use compiled native drivers instead of INDI or ASCOM. If you do happen to have a problem with AstroDMxCapture, they are very good at responding quickly.

My guess on your issue is that something got wonked in the camera initial presets.  Since AstroDMxCapture uses a specific native driver, it does a grass-roots initialization.  This likely "de-wonked" the camera....or at least set it back to factory initialization settings.

55 minutes ago, JonCarleton said:

AstroDMxCapture isn't as widely used, but the programmer is very dedicated and did a lot of work with SVBONY when their cameras first came out.  It is probably because of AstroDMxCapture that the SDC exists for SVBONY cameras.

I am a Linux user, so I have never used SharpCap, but I have don't a lot of imaging with AstroDMxCapture, and it works well.  It is especially good for planetary imaging in the video mode.  The Linux and Windows versions of AstroDMxCapture work exactly the same and use compiled native drivers instead of INDI or ASCOM. If you do happen to have a problem with AstroDMxCapture, they are very good at responding quickly.

My guess on your issue is that something got wonked in the camera initial presets.  Since AstroDMxCapture uses a specific native driver, it does a grass-roots initialization.  This likely "de-wonked" the camera....or at least set it back to factory initialization settings.

Again, appreciated. Some of your reply got a tad deep for me but at the end are you suggesting that the issue is within the ‘workings’ of the camera itself as opposed to the software? 

Many cameras go through an initialization during the connection phase.  I have seen instances where using the wrong driver or a broken driver can cause a camera to malfunction and continue to malfunction until it somehow receives a "master reset" command...assuming it isn't so confused that it can't accept the reset.  Most programs start the connection process with a master reset, then apply the settings the user specified.  Other programs take the approach, "It was setup fine last time I used it, let's just configure any changes and move ahead...no real need to waste time with a reset."  The latter approach, while efficient, can be subject to issues if the camera "wasn't really setup properly at the end of the previous session."  Something as simple as a cable juggle during an initialization or even normal operations can confuse a camera.  Usually, this is cured by a restart, expecially if the program using the camera does a master reset on connection.

....or in backyard mechanic terms, it got stuck, and a good kick from another source unstuck it.  :D

On 06/10/2021 at 16:03, Starslayer said:

o the annoying thing now is I got it working but have not got a clue how or what was wrong before. 

I have noticed this sometimes using Firecapture too. It appears that the driver for some reason doesnt communicate properly with the camera and you end up with straneg patterns on the image. Using a different software to talk to that port seems to release that issue.

Edited by AstroMuni