NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My rubbish first ISS image. Better than nothing, I guess

Hi all,

I borrowed my old XT8 from the friend I sold it to, to dip my toe into planetary imaging with my guide camera, an ASI120mm usb3.

After getting some fairly good pics of good ol' Jupiter and Saturn, I decided to try capturing the ISS.

As always, the station arrives right in time... unfortunately a huge bank of solid cloud got here first a few minutes before.

I caught brief glimpses of it through breaks in the cloud but I really didn't think I had caught it in the telescope view.

And of course, the sky cleared beautifully minutes after the pass...

Imagine my complete surprise later when I noticed 15 frames among the 6500 recorded included the ISS. 2 of those frames were usable. Certainly not great quality, but decent, considering they were taken through a bit of cloud.

So, I present to you fine folks, my rubbish image of the ISS

telescope: Orion XT8
Camera: ZWO ASI120MM
software: Sharpcap, Photoshop, lightroom
Capture resolution: 16bit mono 1280x720 tif sequence.

Thanks for reading.

Also, oddly, it didn't make it's appearance 90 minutes later as predicted by heavens above. Which is a first in my many years of using that website. Weird.538007888_issgood.jpg.691f5e3bf45de0c43d5f0b59e76ed57a.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks for the nice words everyone.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on myself, I guess I was comparing my image with the more detailed, amazing ones I was inspired by 

Thanks again everyone who looked/responded.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2021 at 06:32, bottletopburly said:

Nowt wrong with that it was travelling at 17000 mph lols I took an image once looked like a stars wars fighter I’d be chuffed at that your workmates will be in Awe at that 👍

Thanks mate 😃

• Like 1