NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Frustrating

Zermelo

The forecasted high cloud (mostly) stayed away this evening, so I was glad I set up.

Transparency was great, but the seeing here was awful, much worse than yesterday. A strong breeze got up around 11. All the views were jumpy and/or fuzzy. Tight doubles were impossible, Jupiter and Saturn were mushy, except at low powers. I did save the evening with some wider doubles, and did pick up some diffuse nebulae with the filters, but at midnight I realized it wasn't going to improve and packed up.  All part of the hobby (in the UK), of course, and it does make those special nights even more special 🙂

• Like 3

Transparency here was poor. Seeing was variable. Straight up was good, but local conditions meant that the seeing for the gas giants was variable.

At  times it was OK. For Saturn, I could make out the Cassini Division most of the time. Titan was bright but Rhea was coming and going with the seeing. I think I got a hint of Tethys at times, too.

Jupiter was better, being a little higher. I've been spoilt with some great seeing recently, so it was a bit off-and-on tonight. It had its moments though, with 4 bands clear and detailed at times. Some festoons visible in the equatorial zone.

Could split Iota Cas at x100 - but it was close to the zenith.

The Pleiades revealed themselves at the end of the night too. Which was nice!