NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which eyepiece

wookie1965

Having 3 Achromatic refractors and stupidly selling a 20mm TeleVue plossl I now find myself going from a 32mm GSO to the 25mm BST then to a 15mm BST so I need suggestions for a eyepiece between 18mm and 21mm to fill that gap. 

I would love a old vixen silver top I have the 10mm and it is brilliant but they are rare and expensive, I have tried Baader hyperions and just don't get on with them, I did have a 18mm BST so I would consider one of them but if there is any eyepieces 19 or 21 that may be the way to go. 

What do you all think please. 

I have the the NPL 20 too, but not a big fan of it. It has an unadjustable eye guard that clicks up far beyond the eye relief of the eyepiece. There are hacks to work around the problem (use an elastic band to hold the eyeguard at the right height) but every time I reach for the eyepiece I feel annoyance at the careless construction. Optically it's fine.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jetstream said:

These are hard to beat... I love Televue plossls.

I have the 11mm and it's brilliant I sold the 20mm to have funds for a 21mm hyperion second hand but I didn't like it and sold that which left the gap, you live and learn. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have the 11mm and it's brilliant I sold the 20mm to have funds for a 21mm hyperion second hand but I didn't like it and sold that which left the gap, you live and learn. 

I would save for another one, they are extremely good as you know. When ever I want to squeeze out faint neb they are always on deck. A whole set of TV plossls accumulated over time, used, would be a fantastic collection of glass.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

I would save for another one, they are extremely good as you know. When ever I want to squeeze out faint neb they are always on deck. A whole set of TV plossls accumulated over time, used, would be a fantastic collection of glass.

Not many about though I have been looking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

A bit out of my price range but I bet I would like it. 

I got mine used from ebay at quite a good price. I have seen them listed very occasionally on classified, but yes a bit more expensive than the plossl range.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2021 at 13:48, Ags said:

Explore Scientific 20mm 68°? I had the 24mm and it was really good, far, far, far better than the Hyperion 24 I used to own.

+1 for ES68 20mm. Very comfortable to use and well corrected views.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/09/2021 at 18:21, scarp15 said:

You would like an 18.2mm DeLite should one come up on the classified.

Seconded. I grabbed a couple of high ish power Delites recently for planetary viewing and they’re mega. I don’t have an 18.2 as at that mag for a dob it’s too narrow fov for me but I see lots of people raving about the 18.2. 

they sort of remind me view wise of a plossl but much more user friendly and a wider fov. 

• Like 1