Jupiter 5th sept

neil phillips

3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Still a good end result, plenty of detail visible there. What time were you imaging?

Hi Pete the first image was 00:23 UT  20 degrees elevation. The second 00:42 UT 18 degrees elevation. Orion 245. QHY 462C Camera. UV IR CUT.  EQ5 Mount. ZWO ADC  

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Neil, definitely worth getting out that's a very pleasing image  

I am getting constantly amazed how this scope seems to be performing under difficult conditions Craig. I can tell on screen it really wants to perform. But the conditions are not allowing what it seems capable of. As such looking foward to the high moon at the end of the month at 60 degrees briefly. 

Not exactly sure why. But i tried your white balance settings last night. And the colour for some reason is far from balanced red too high and blue too low. These shots are with a reg6 Auto rgb colour balance. I can post a straight shot out of AS/2. For you to view if you wanted.  I have been leaving the colour balance as RAW ( coming out green) then doing the balancing post processing. Nick from Altair was telling me its the better way to do it. In fact with the Altair software although you can adjust white balance on screen. it does not save like that. It only saves pure raw. I have no idea if thats correct or not ? I did wonder by increasing the red channel it has actually helped the detail. But am unsure about this yet ? 

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Nick from Altair was telling me its the better way to do it. In fact with the Altair software although you can adjust white balance on screen. it does not save like that. It only saves pure raw

This is interesting, I don't think this applies to firecapture. 

I have done some tests and ran off two undebayered (RAW 8 bit) captures with different WB settings and the two outputs do have different colour casts when debayered afterwards, so it looks like the WB settings in firecapture do come through to the recorded data. 

Are you using firecapture or something else to capture your data?

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

This is interesting, I don't think this applies to firecapture. 

I have done some tests and ran off two undebayered (RAW 8 bit) captures with different WB settings and the two outputs do have different colour casts when debayered afterwards, so it looks like the WB settings in firecapture do come through to the recorded data. 

Are you using firecapture or something else to capture your data?

Sharpcap but the new settings are being applied  can see the same colour live as the output file 

Nice images Neil despite the cloud.  

I set up too but was clouded out ten minutes later after one capture!  I find it difficult staying awake to image late evening/early morning, much prefer going to bed then getting up at silly o'clock!

Angie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, U Cyg said:

I set up too but was clouded out ten minutes later after one capture!  I find it difficult staying awake to image late evening/early morning, much prefer going to bed then getting up at silly o'clock!

Angie

Cheers Angie know what you mean. i often need to have some rest. Before i do the imaging. or i get tired too. 

16 hours ago, U Cyg said:

Angie

Definitely feels better to me, not easy to get back to sleep after being outside for couple of hours.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Pete the first image was 00:23 UT  20 degrees elevation. The second 00:42 UT 18 degrees elevation. Orion 245. QHY 462C Camera. UV IR CUT.  EQ5 Mount. ZWO ADC  

Cheers

Very tricky down at that elevation Neil, i thought about stting up last night. I left it a bit late, with my ankle/boot i did not want to risk dropping something. I might give it a go tonight and set up before dark.