Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroLandscapes #24 - Milky Way above St Michael's Mount

I'd had this shot in mind for some time, conscious that it's a bit of a cliche in Cornish nightscape circles!  We were in Cornwall in quite a challenging period astronomically, with the first week marred by cloud and the second week hindered by the moon. So I ended up having to shoot this quite early on the evening before true darkness had begun and while the full moon was still in the murk on the horizon.  It also needed favourable tides - so a lot to come together.  I'll definitely be revisiting it again on future visits, but reasonably happy for a first attempt..  Enjoy!  Comments and suggestions welcome as ever.  📷

1534174092_20210824MilkyWayoverStMichaelsMount(24mm).thumb.jpg.ae1fa8092533efd870c979bbfc93dc84.jpg

Shot with a Canon 6D and Samyang 24mm lens.

• Like 11

I think its a great looking image, perfect composition to my eyes. I had not heard of this location, so a quick search does show quite a few imges featuring the Milkyway.

I think the anlge/aspect you have selected is better looking than all the ones i saw, all the others seem to be the other side of the rocks/steps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

I think its a great looking image, perfect composition to my eyes. I had not heard of this location, so a quick search does show quite a few imges featuring the Milkyway.

I think the anlge/aspect you have selected is better looking than all the ones i saw, all the others seem to be the other side of the rocks/steps.

Thanks Pete - very kind. There are some lovely images out there. This composition was really forced upon me by the tides and moonlight; I had another planned that j had to abandon because the moonlight was washing everything out. 

• Like 1