Binoviewers ....revisited!

skyhog

I've had a pair of WO binoviewers in the obsy for years. Not sure when I actually bought them, why I bought them or why I haven't really used them. Anyway, to cut  a long story short I thought I would get them out while I was observing the moon through the 12 GPS a few months ago. I was utterly blown away. I really don't know why I haven't thought of using them again. The views of copernicus and the surrounding area were fantastic. I know many struggle with the stereoscopic view but I found it perfect. I spent a few hours at the eyepiece totally transfixed. Moving forward and I have been observing jupiter over the last few weeks, again the views have been amazing. The GRS was particularly nice the other night. I even ended looking at M57 and that was a fine sight too, alberio a beautiful target. So a big thumbs up in my book and well worth trying out if you haven't done so before. 

• Like 4

Yes I’m a big fan of binoviewers for solar system observing, just makes it so much easier to view an object for long periods and the object itself seems huge when viewed with both eyes compared with one. Even a full moon is really enjoyable to view with BVs. Well done on getting them in action again. 👍

HI great topic .

I purchased a binoviewer and could not believe the difference it makes objects do appear to be huge.

A astro friend of 40 years came over last week and I set up the binoviewer on a Meade ETX 90 and he was amazed at the difference it made to the image.

I can not use it on my Celestron 6se as it is to heavy they do not suit all instruments but when they do its magic.

My friend was smitten and he is going to purchase one.