Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dew problems with all sky camera

iwols

hi all having problems with dew on my all sky camera,on the inside ,fitted a dew heater (the round one that goes round the ccd)slightly better but still a problem does anyone have any suggestions on what they use please

small.jpg.1cc06754b43ed579fe144d0072f1ac4c.jpg

If you assembled the system inside, where I would think, there wouldn't be much moisture in the air ??  how did the water get into the dome ? so I'd also check the sealing between the dome & the box... 

If you are able, I'd be tempted to 3D print a ring to go around the dome base, making a more secure seal.... 

• Like 1

Assuming it's sealed:  silicone disiccant in there. and dry out in microwave every few months. cat litter also works if you have that lying around. if you really can't get rid of it, put rain-x on the inside and outside. it won't stop dew forming, but it will form into big drops that won't ruin the view as much.

stu

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you assembled the system inside, where I would think, there wouldn't be much moisture in the air ??  how did the water get into the dome ? so I'd also check the sealing between the dome & the box... 

If you are able, I'd be tempted to 3D print a ring to go around the dome base, making a more secure seal.... 

thanks unfortunately not but there is a rubber gasket under the dome to box and a rubber seal all round the abs box lid

what about the power/network inlet(s) ?,

If water is dripping down the side/underneath, then a daytime temperatures would make the air inside to expand, forcing air out, then on cooling would draw air back in, bringing with it the moisture, which would be heated by the internal electronics etc. which then condenses on the inside of the cooler dome....

I would suggest forced ventilation, heating it up more and more isn’t likely to work, and it could possibly increase your thermal noise in the images.

It’s very difficult to seal these things, air and therefore moisture will permeate.

Silica bags should help too.

I have a similar set-up to yours and I completely cured the problem of dew by installing some ‘nichrome’ wire BUT making it raised to encourage automatic flow of the ‘warm’ air. My system has never dewed up using this.

• 2 weeks later...