NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First image for a while - Andromeda

Grant93

Hello everyone,

Been inactive for a while due to terribly cloudy skies. But finally a target is up more suitable to my setup that I can actually capture from my backyard, although many HA targets are up and visible from the backyard, my camera is stock (Will change in september when I purchase a modded camera :D, a decent astrodedicated is way way way out of my budget at the moment).  Although I feel that the target is still reasonbly low in the skies at the moment when I start imaging at 23:00, which I think is reflected in the photo. But it will glide across the zenith later in the year, which I will then target it again :), for hopefully more exposure time also.

It's taken me a while, but I think I am happy with the finished product.

EOS 800D

iOptron Skyguider Pro

ZS61

Its 2 hours and 30 minutes worth of 45 second exposures.

20 Darks

40 Bias

20 Flats (First time using flats also, didnt know it was easy as a white t shirt, elastic band and pointing it towards the sky!)

Let me know what you think :) Critism always welcome!

Grant

Andromeda 2ndstack1stedit.png

• Like 9

Nice dust Lanes and a good size in the frame. I would have probably tried to rotate the frame to get Andromeda more across the diagonal. I think it would also benefit from lightening a little too. 

Very nice image all the same. 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grant93 said:

Hello everyone,

Been inactive for a while due to terribly cloudy skies. But finally a target is up more suitable to my setup that I can actually capture from my backyard, although many HA targets are up and visible from the backyard, my camera is stock (Will change in september when I purchase a modded camera :D, a decent astrodedicated is way way way out of my budget at the moment).  Although I feel that the target is still reasonbly low in the skies at the moment when I start imaging at 23:00, which I think is reflected in the photo. But it will glide across the zenith later in the year, which I will then target it again :), for hopefully more exposure time also.

It's taken me a while, but I think I am happy with the finished product.

EOS 800D

iOptron Skyguider Pro

ZS61

Its 2 hours and 30 minutes worth of 45 second exposures.

20 Darks

40 Bias

20 Flats (First time using flats also, didnt know it was easy as a white t shirt, elastic band and pointing it towards the sky!)

Let me know what you think :) Critism always welcome!

Grant

Andromeda 2ndstack1stedit.png

Nice, those dust lanes are coming through nicely!

How are you processing it? I think there is quite a bit in there (although my processing is poor compared to others)

883353052_quickedit.png.1a64803a81a37533d059315b0b135bdd.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

Nice dust Lanes and a good size in the frame. I would have probably tried to rotate the frame to get Andromeda more across the diagonal. I think it would also benefit from lightening a little too. 

Very nice image all the same. 👍

Such simple but such brilliant advice I didnt know about, with a very very slight levels adjustment in GIMP and adjusting the white point, its brought out more detail, whilst still not revealing too much noise! I didnt want to stretch too much as to not overexpose the core. Cheers! Updated below :D

7 minutes ago, smashing said:

Nice, those dust lanes are coming through nicely!

How are you processing it? I think there is quite a bit in there (although my processing is poor compared to others)

Thank you! I start in startools, then as I'm not too good with the colors in startools, I do some RBG levels adjustment in GIMP, and also run their noise reduction to see if it improves it further :)

Andromeda 2ndstack1stedit1.png

Edited by Grant93
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grant93 said:

Thank you! I start in startools, then as I'm not too good with the colors in startools, I do some RBG levels adjustment in GIMP, and also run their noise reduction to see if it improves it further :)

Andromeda 2ndstack1stedit1.png

I am a sucker for a good Andromeda shot  and I really like how the dust lanes look in that 2-3 o'clock position near the core :) blowing out the core is a pig which I struggled with all last year which is how I ended up learning about masks lol...this year I'm going to try the two shot blend approach (well if the skies clear anyway)

Edited by smashing

16 minutes ago, Grant93 said:

Such simple but such brilliant advice I didnt know about, with a very very slight levels adjustment in GIMP and adjusting the white point, its brought out more detail, whilst still not revealing too much noise! I didnt want to stretch too much as to not overexpose the core. Cheers! Updated below :D

Beautiful image you have there 😍, if you wanted to stretch the inage more without blowing the core out you can use layer masking not sure if gimp has layer masking as I don't use it but it's what I do in photoshop with bright core subjects eg M13 here 

M13-30-4-21-copy.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Beautiful image you have there 😍, if you wanted to stretch the inage more without blowing the core out you can use layer masking not sure if gimp has layer masking as I don't use it but it's what I do in photoshop with bright core subjects eg M13 here

Yes it does! I use layer masks for stars but for some reason never thought of using it for the core, good idea :D

11 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Looks very nice - maybe a bit short of colour? But safer than being over-processed!

My thoughts exactly, I was hoping for more color, and if you stretch it enough it does come out, but so does more noise :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

Stunning image mate. I personally think you can go a bit brighter in order to show more detail. Obviously it's down to personal taste.

Great work. Gorgeous.

Cheers

Thank you :) Gonna have another play with processing it on the weekend I think :D

• 3 weeks later...