Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eruption of the Recurrent Nova RS Oph!

RS Oph is entering an interesting new phase not seen in typical novae as the explosion crashes into the material surrounding the red giant, producing a shock wave which heats the material to very high temperatures. This produces highly ionised "coronal lines" in the spectrum, for example [Fe X] (Iron with 9 electron knocked out of it) shown here.  (Note the Y scale has been stretched massively to show these weaker lines. The peak intensity of the alpha line is well over 100 !).

rsoph_20210825-20210907_Leadbeater.png.883a225cb1097fa462817718466ae628.png

I saw the same line appear in spectra taken around the same time during the previous outburst back in March 2006 Using a Star Analyser grating

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_24.htm

• Like 5

RS Ophiuchi
Using  the 25mm (x16), first impression – no colour.
Used the 12.5mm to darken the sky background a little more.
It is quite faint now. 
Fainter than HD162488 (7.98)
Similar in brightness to HD162215 (9.68) & HD162369 (9.56)
Brighter than HD162449 (9.81)
I estimated the Magnitude at 9.6.

I have enjoyed following this event. Although the OMC250 may have to be used more now :)

cheers

Ian 

• Like 3

Yes, very faint, almost beyond my capability with a 50mm lens on a tripod.
Yesterday 20Sep, a race between dusk and it going behind a tree not helped by some thin haze and drifting thin clouds, surprised I got anything! A quick 40x2sec, DSS + a lot of stretch in Gimp but no added saturation, still a nice ruby red.
20Sep.thumb.jpg.20410b0fa165f7f5ad90e7857db4522b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a total newbie so this is probably wrong but just spotted something close to where it would be, naked eye quite red and twinkling like a mad thing (when nothing around it was so not just weather). Took a good while to be convinced it was a not plane coming straight towards me. I know it was active in August as well and hadn’t been for years before, could it be going again? 

Clouded over now and close to horizon so I don’t think I’ll have a chance to see again tonight. 

19 hours ago, sirenity said:

naked eye quite red and twinkling like a mad thing

Arcturus perhaps ?  Bright, orange  almost directly West (rather than SW for Ophiuchus) after dark currently. Low in the sky so twinkling due to the thickness of atmosphere we are looking through

Cheers

Robin