Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Persieds from Crete

Hi,

If all goes well (we clear all the Covid testing hurdles required for travel between UK and Greece) we are hoping to be in Crete early next week. 

I am not really familiar with Crete so looking for some astronomical leads! Wondering if anyone is familiar with observing from Crete or is aware of any planned public events for the Perseids  or can share any contact details of amatuer organisations there. 

Thanks 

Gurbir

Hi Gurbir. I know there is an observatory on the top of one of the mountains but sadly I deleted all my links when Covid struck.

I also found on the web a couple of astronomers that take groups out on guided tours of the night skies, for a fee of course.

Good luck with the trip.

Marv

We are going to Crete for 10 days in the 2nd week of September (assuming the trip goes ahead, and doesn't get cancelled by JET2), I don't suppose there are any organised trips to view the night sky from suitable dark sky locations (possibly with telescopes), same as you get on Tenerife.

John 

Edited by johnturley

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Enjoy you trip to Crete. I’ve just this morning cancelled my hol in Menorca late Sep/early Oct due to travel uncertainties 😞

Thanks

We went to Mallorca in July, after JET2 cancelled our planned trip to Tenerife, and really enjoyed it, although didn't see much of the night sky, we had been planning to visit the solar observatory on Tenerife had that trip gone ahead. It was however a nightmare filling the Spanish SpTH forms, and the UK Passenger Locator Forms, plus arranging Covid tests before and after return.

We had originally been booked to go on a cruise to the Greek Islands in September before it was cancelled by P & O, so booked the trip to Crete with JET2 instead.

John

1 minute ago, johnturley said:

Thanks

We went to Mallorca in July, after JET2 cancelled our planned trip to Tenerife, and really enjoyed it, although didn't see much of the night sky, we had been planning to visit the solar observatory on Tenerife had that trip gone ahead. It was however a nightmare filling the Spanish SpTH forms, and the UK Passenger Locator Forms, plus arranging Covid tests before and after return.

We had originally been booked to go on a cruise to the Greek Islands in September before it was cancelled by P & O, so booked the trip to Crete with JET2 instead.

John

Yes it’s the hassle factor of forms, tests and potential delays that put me off. And I’m sure my wife and I would be checking our phones evert 2 hours to see if Menorca was being added to the red list.

My employer has simplified work travel: we still have travel ban in place until at least Oct 1. 

• Like 1

Because the Perseids used to coincide with the family hols, we regularly looked for them when abroad, and many times from Crete.

Every time, we were on our own!    I've never heard of a planned events there, mostly it was difficult to explain to the owners of various apartments I stayed in, why I was walking around outside at 2am .  :)  (My Greek is limited and doesn't extend into meteor spotting)

Of course you'll need to get out of the way of lights, and being as it was peak holiday season, everything is running way into the night.  The best way of finding a dark spot was usually to head for the beach, lie on one of the beach chairs listening to the sea and count the trails.  I could have driven up into the mountains but usually by the time darkness fell,  I was full of souvlaki and beers and feeling 'relaxed' and hence wasn't about to drive anywhere. 

Anyhow, have a nice trip, and I wish I was there.

1 hour ago, Capt Slog said:

Because the Perseids used to coincide with the family hols, we regularly looked for them when abroad, and many times from Crete.

Every time, we were on our own!    I've never heard of a planned events there, mostly it was difficult to explain to the owners of various apartments I stayed in, why I was walking around outside at 2am .  :)  (My Greek is limited and doesn't extend into meteor spotting)

Of course you'll need to get out of the way of lights, and being as it was peak holiday season, everything is running way into the night.  The best way of finding a dark spot was usually to head for the beach, lie on one of the beach chairs listening to the sea and count the trails.  I could have driven up into the mountains but usually by the time darkness fell,  I was full of souvlaki and beers and feeling 'relaxed' and hence wasn't about to drive anywhere. 

Anyhow, have a nice trip, and I wish I was there.

I thought “meteor” was Greek

🤣

Thanks Marv,  John and Jeremy,

John  - may be of interest for you in September. Found the Crete based organisation below .  Current indication is that Greece is still under lockdown but by September things could be better.

Location - Chania, Crete, 73007, Greece 

csot@otenet.gr

Phone: 00306973391504

I will post an update  once I make it over there. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I thought “meteor” was Greek

🤣

Hmm, never considered that. 😁

But a quick look at the etymology shows that it comes from the Greek, ("Thing high up").  Google translate gives it as 'meteoro' in modern greek.

I find it surprising how sometimes what seems obvious (to English speakers) doesn't always crossover.  I was in an Italian restaurant (in Germany) and one of our party wanted mustard for his steak.  We tried all sorts to get a waiter to understand and eventually he came back to the table with every sauce and condiment he could rustle up, presented on a tray.  Out of the 20 or so offerings, we picked up the jar of mustard.  "Ah!" he exclaimed "Mustardo".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gurbir said:

Thanks Marv,  John and Jeremy,

John  - may be of interest for you in September. Found the Crete based organisation below .  Current indication is that Greece is still under lockdown but by September things could be better.

Location - Chania, Crete, 73007, Greece 

csot@otenet.gr

Phone: 00306973391504

I will post an update  once I make it over there. 

I hope you find what you are looking for. Nearly two years ago I was researching the perfect holiday of History, Astronomy and pool. Crete had it all then the obvious happened. I hope you get to enjoy a great time.

Please let me know how you get on, as I really want to go some day this decade.

Marvin.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back to blighty. We used the airport at Chania but stayed in Rythemnon. A nice place but light pollution was a real problem. Managed to see loads of Persied on the 13th (I arrived on 11th) and caught one on video and another on the camera. The third image  shows my beach location just as  sun started to rise.

Crete is populated mainly on the north coast and I suspect the south coast is better for observing. There is an observatory (https://skinakas.physics.uoc.gr/en/) in the mountains. We had a car for 4 days and had the family not tagged along I would like to have had a drive up there.

I did have email exchange with a couple of local astronomy contacts (neither was in Rythemnon) - happy to share those with anyone heading out to Crete in the future.

Persied.jpg

Location_Twilight.jpg

• Like 1