NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two Power-Pack Options: Any thoughts on pros and cons?

Hi,

I'm planning to do some imaging in the field (literally!).

I'll need to take a reliable power source with me.

I was leaning towards purchase of the Celestron Powertank: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro.html, but then found a cheaper, and apparently more versatile alternative on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEAUDENS-Portable-Generator-Phosphate-Emergency/dp/B07MC7TV2G/ref=pd_ybh_a_21?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T2KG3YHKQG9VW8VZA2YA.

What attracts me towards the Beaudens option is the AC outlet, which would provide power for a laptop. Other equipment I'd be looking to power includes, ASI1600/EFW, CEM40 mount, telephoto lens dew heater, and perhaps ASIAIR Mk1.

The versatility and cost of the Beaudens pack makes it a very attractive option, and its power capabilities appear to match the Powertank. 

I'd be interested and grateful to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of these options.

Best, Herrman 

Jee these Celestron batteries arent cheap.  And that Beaudens pack looks solid to me.  Ive never used one of them, and was always planning to get that cheap skywatcher 17ah tank, but like your Beaudens option shows, there are many more alternatives.  YouTube reviews and reactions tell it must be a solid product. 

Hi Robindonne,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes,  Celestron appear to be asking a lot of money for their product, which made me wonder if the Powertank has features lacking in the Beaudens option. 

Amazon reviews of the Beaudens Power Stations are generally favourable (although, I accept you should not have complete faith in these), so I am leaning towards this option. 

Thanks again, Herrman

I am using the Celestron tank and so far my longest session has been four hours but that’s cooled camera, few heaters the lot. I recon it might be good for six or seven but won’t know for a few months yet. 
that beaudens looks interesting though. 

On 06/08/2021 at 06:45, Herrman said:

Hi Robindonne,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes,  Celestron appear to be asking a lot of money for their product, which made me wonder if the Powertank has features lacking in the Beaudens option. 

Amazon reviews of the Beaudens Power Stations are generally favourable (although, I accept you should not have complete faith in these), so I am leaning towards this option. 

Thanks again, Herrman

The powertank can be bought for £204 from picstop - still more expensive that the Beaudens battery, but may make the price more palatable for you.

Hi JeremyS,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

I do have a 22 Ah Tracer battery, it's several years old now but still holds a charge. I've used this for powering just a mount, but wasn't sure how well it would cope with a cooled camera and dew heater as well. I think the various power outlets on the Beaudens would be useful, particularly the AC one. I've taken the plunge and ordered one, so will keep you posted on its performance.

Best, Herrman

• Like 1

Hi Richie092,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

I was very tempted by the Celestron pack, it does have favourable reviews, and it's good to hear that it's serving you well.

As I mention above, I've opted for the Beaudens pack, it will be interesting to compare notes in a few months time!

Best, Herrman