Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lagoon Nebula

alan potts

I know this is fairly bright but i was surprised how well it turned out (for me) with only 80mins of subs, then a few were dropped by DSS. When ever I turn the scope to this area of the shy I always wish I was in Kenya or somewhere like that for the targets to be higher in the shy, even though I am better off than the UK

1251054350_Lagoon80mins.thumb.jpg.49aa4746eecef1d4f0a5d0b797ab075b.jpg

Feel free to rip it to bits, if anyone wants the data to play with drop me a PM, Not that I think it's good but it is nice for people that don't have CMOS cameras to have a play, I can upload the RAW.

Alan.

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Thats exerllent Alan,your being far too hard on yourself.

I too dont have cooled cmos,but use an old DSLR for these wide shots,and the noise is hopeless in summer.

I,d be happy with this image.

Mick.

I never think I am hard on myself, I look at what some of you do and think, if only. Standards are very high from so many of you, including you. Thanks for the kind words Mick

Alan 

37 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I never think I am hard on myself, I look at what some of you do and think, if only. Standards are very high from so many of you, including you. Thanks for the kind words Mick

Alan 

Are you sure your thinking of the right person Alan.🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's wonderful Alan, nicely processed too. 

I added another 80mins the other night and it really helped, won't bother posting, one can have too much Lagoon. Last night was a pain the C-D-C was playing up and stopped the session without me knowing, most strange.

Alan

Love it.  Very natural looking.  I think I would hit it with scnr green.  I think the background/star field is a tad greenish.  If you don’t use Pi then a manual curve/histogram tweak would wotk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Love it.  Very natural looking.  I think I would hit it with scnr green.  I think the background/star field is a tad greenish.  If you don’t use Pi then a manual curve/histogram tweak would wotk

Your probably spot on it took me about 2 minutes to process, I find the way I do things they do head towards the green.

Alan

21 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Your probably spot on it took me about 2 minutes to process, I find the way I do things they do head towards the green.

Alan

Could be my screen too.  I am looking at it on a different monitor now - a much darker one -and it looks fine.  This is an inferior one though..... I find the different looks on different screens to be one of the most vexing issues with what we do.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words, I added another 80mins the night after, which helped of course. I am limited by trees, my trees at that. The strange thing is I could not have processed it faster if I tried, about 3 minutes.

Alan 

20 hours ago, Rodd said:

Could be my screen too.  I am looking at it on a different monitor now - a much darker one -and it looks fine.  This is an inferior one though..... I find the different looks on different screens to be one of the most vexing issues with what we do.

I have a graphic designers screen that my mate got me s/h, he told me it would have cost a lot new, over 600e, don't make coffee though. To my eye, which is normally excellent for colour perception as this was a part of my job years ago and I was tested for this often, it looks OK to me but so much is down to the screen as you know. Your shots always look excellent Rodd and it is clear you take a lot of care, I tend to trust to luck somewhat.

Alan

• Like 1