Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Testing Nifty Fifty with ASI294mc Pro

mightymonoped

This was intended as a quick test to see if I could capture anything (at all really) using a good old Canon 50mm 1.8 with an ASI294mc pro, rather than the usual DSLR.

Firstly, I 'locked' the nifty at a usable f4 using my DSLR before releasing it and connecting it to the ASI294. This was connected via the ZWO filter draw, which already contained an Optolong l-eNhance filter. This in turn prompted me to look for a target with some meaningful Ha content. Rather than go with the usual NA and pelican nebs, I decided to point the setup somewhere in the region of the Perseus Double Cluster, in an attempt to capture the Heart & Soul into the bargain.

After what seemed like a lifetime trying to manually focus to something half-way decent, I began capturing 60s unguided subs. Unfortunately, the balcony pillar obstructed the right side of nearly all of the frames so the resultant image has been cropped to remove the annoying blurred obstruction.

This crop is 110 x 60s plus darks processed as HOO in APP.

Processed in Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop CC

Perseus-n50.jpg

Perseus-n50.jpg

Edited by mightymonoped

25 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That's come out great, nice crisp stars. FOV is pleasing too. I'm surprised the lens stayed at f4 once disconnected as not a manual lens.

I put the dslr in Bulb mode at f4, depressed the shutter and removed the lens while it was still exposing. When I checked the lens aperture it had retained the f-stop, so that was a result! 😊

• 3 weeks later...