Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Pro

53 minutes ago, randomic said:

Isn't this just because the bottom screw is tighter than the top here?

The right hand side is all one casting, all moveable bits are on the other side. The width of the casting differs from top to bottom - illustrated by the red lines.

I'm not seeing any difference between the top and bottom fixed jaw. Your lines seem to be based on the cut-outs in the base of the casing, which have no bearing on the clamping jaws. Could you just confirm what you're using as the reference for the left hand side of your lines?

The best way to judge if there's an issue is to put a dovetail plate in the jaws and clamp it up. ;)

Hi Martin,

Honestly it looks as though you might be comparing apples and oranges; the lines at A project to the central cut out while the lines at B only go to the edge cut out. I've taken the liberty of editing your image and I don't think there's an issue here.

140692439_HEQ5ProJaws.jpg.1c9b15f4770339ce493724bcb13867b8.jpg.72de30b7874eabc34ee077a0b65a9b0d.jpg

Regards,

Stu

• Like 3

Even if this was the case - it would not change performance of the mount in any way.

You can clamp telescope "sideways" - and it will still work. This is because DEC axis with Heq5 is not absolute axis (nor is it RA for that matter) - and "home" is where you tell it.

Take for example this case;

image.png.4b9b10f4e50330c8204fdc7519fd823b.png

Puck and clamp are at 90° to optical axis of the scopes and mount will still be happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2021 at 15:04, martinclayden said:

I noticed today that the "jaws" on my HEQ5 Pro are not symmetrical - see attached pic; being wider at the bottom than at the top. So a clamped scope might sit squarely on the mount.

Does this matter ?

Martin

140692439_HEQ5ProJaws.jpg.1c9b15f4770339ce493724bcb13867b8.jpg

Your two sets of lines A and B are not showing the same measured part of the mount??????

So yes of course they are different.