Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StellarMate and RPi4

Brownthunder93

Hi all,

Before I take the plunge and buy everything, I have a few questions with regards to using StellarMate software and a raspberry pi 4.

Basically is as follows:

1. When downloading the StellarMate OS for use on the RPi 4, are you still able to use the app to control everything?

2. When using the RPi 4 and StellarMate with mount and cameras, does it accept webcams for use as guide cams, or does it only accept known brand guide cams?

3. Are there any restrictions on what tablets can run the StellarMate OS? (I currently have an iPad Air 1st gen).

4. This is my first foray into RPi computers (it is something I’ve wanted to get into for a long time and I’m fairly tech savvy). Is this a fairly easy project to get started on?

5. I hear about astroberry a lot and the fact that it is free. But which is better? Specifically for control via a tablet (I have to travel to setup so I don’t particularly want to have to carry around a laptop with me, if I can avoid it!)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Brownthunder93

1. Yes you can get the app and use a vnc session to control the Stellarmate. I went the OS only route.

2. Stellarmate uses the indi drivers so if there is a driver for your it would work on Stellarmate (and Astroberry) see https://www.indilib.org/devices.html

3. Have a look at the Stellarmate app on appstore to see if it works on your device or the Stellarmate web site

4. In terms of ease of setup the Asiair wins, next comes Stellarmate and then Astroberry. You can get help here or on the FB sites for any of those 3.

5. Astroberry is free but has no app, you can control it from a browser using vnc (easy on both Stellarmate & Astroberry) as it is preset on the Linux OS for you.

If you buy the hardware first (Raspberry Pi) you can try out the astroberry free and can use that to get to know the basics and hardware that wors on that will work on Stellarmate too.  Stellarmate is updated a bit more frequently and you get support having bought the OS, though both the authors of Astroberry & Stellarmate are usually found on forums & FB.

To use your webcam as a guide camera, select V4L2 CCD driver in the INDI profile when setting up either stellarmate or astroberry.

The stellarmate app also works on phones, so if your tablet is too old and not supported, you can always use your phones.

Based on my experience the stellarmate app isn't reliable enough and is very prone to intermittent disconnection. Accessing it through VNC is by far the preferred the option. And if you do go with VNC access, there aren't many differences left between stellarmate and astroberry. Therefore I'd suggest you save $50 and give astroberry a try first. There is a new stellarmate device that will be released soon. It's based on the CM4 (RPi compute module 4) and a Power/IO board. Looks quite promising based on the limited info that can be found on their facebook page. If it turns out to be substantially cheaper than ASIAIR Pro, it would be a winner.

Thanks all,

By the looks of it, I’m gonna have to go via the VNC route, but does anyone control it using a mirror app on iPad?

Also, the problems with the stellarmate app, are they purely connectivity based and if so, would a wifi extender for the RPi help? 

17 minutes ago, Brownthunder93 said:

but does anyone control it using a mirror app on iPad?

If you mean to mirror your RPi screen (rather than open a new session on VNC) then you can connect via browser to the RPi and control it.

I use astroberry and control it from my PC via ethernet cable connection to RPi (to avoid any wifi issues). I use Kstars/Ekos on my PC to connect to the INDI server on RPi and control the mount, camera etc.

Edited by AstroMuni

22 hours ago, Brownthunder93 said:

Thanks all,

By the looks of it, I’m gonna have to go via the VNC route, but does anyone control it using a mirror app on iPad?

Also, the problems with the stellarmate app, are they purely connectivity based and if so, would a wifi extender for the RPi help? 

The default VNC session is the display:0 on RPi as if you've connected it to a HDMI monitor. So no need of a screen mirroring app.

When I had disconnection issues with the stellarmate app, the RPi was connected to my home WiFi and based on the monitoring of my UniFi web portal the wifi signal on the RPi didn't drop. So the problem was with the app itself.