Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO OSC camera replacement for Canon 1100D?

callisto

Hi everyone :)

Just as title says...I'm looking to replace my aging 1100D for a OSC cam...I'm just using my Askar 200mm & 135mm lenses.

Which ZWO camera would get me closest to the 1100d frame size? (I'm hopeless with pixel sizes etc)  😳

Thanks,

Mark

Probably closest to that camera would be

ASI071

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi071mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

Newer, better sensor (with smaller pixels) and more expensive:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-2600mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

Both of these have APS-C sized sensor - so FOV will be the same as your 1100D.

• Thanks 1

I think for frame size, the nearest would be the ASI071. The pixel size is slightly smaller than the 1100D, but I think with most cooled OSC cameras you are likely to be over sampling at the low focal length. The ASI294 has a slightly smaller sensor and pixel size but is 50% cheaper. Above both of these is the ZWO ASI 2600MC-PRO.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Probably closest to that camera would be

ASI071

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi071mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

Newer, better sensor (with smaller pixels) and more expensive:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-2600mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

Both of these have APS-C sized sensor - so FOV will be the same as your 1100D.

9 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

I think for frame size, the nearest would be the ASI071. The pixel size is slightly smaller than the 1100D, but I think with most cooled OSC cameras you are likely to be over sampling at the low focal length. The ASI294 has a slightly smaller sensor and pixel size but is 50% cheaper. Above both of these is the ZWO ASI 2600MC-PRO.

Thanks Guys for your imput.👍...was looking at the ASI071 but undecided on which to choose, I'll have a closer look at the others mentioned 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

2 minutes ago, callisto said:

I'll have a closer look at the others mentioned

If you have the budget for it - 2600 is really the best option for OSC APS-C sized cooled astro camera.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Lee_P said:

I use a 2600MC-PRO and it's fantastic. Its strong reputation is well-deserved. Just a shame it's expensive!

I have one sitting on my desk at the moment, frustratingly untried because we are still waiting for the new PC to run the rig.  We ordered it from a French website but it ended up coming from Wakefield! I've seen superb results from this camera and look forward to getting it running.

Olly

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

We ordered it from a French website but it ended up coming from Wakefield!

Ooof, well given the problems in the UK transport industry at the moment I'd expect it sometime around the New Year....🤣

• Haha 2

On 22/07/2021 at 11:57, Lee_P said:

Just a shame it's expensive!

Blimey. 'Astrophotography' and 'expensive' - you don't hear that much🤣

If anyone finds and AP stuff that is cheap please let me know. I'll buy it on principle😁

• Haha 2

The ASI071 was my first CMOS OSC and was a good work horse but when I bought my first ASI2600MC it was clearly a step up. No amp glow, less noise, more sensitive and 16 bit. I sold the 071 this spring to finance another 2600.

• Like 1