Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I want to buy a solar filter, which one?

I can see quite a difference between the Baader white light foil and the Thousand Oaks as supplied with a Seestar. Especially in viewing the lower contrast surface features rather than sunspots.

• Like 1

If I want to changed the natural white of the sun I just use one of those cheap planetary colour filters  that I bought via eBay as a kit.  Now, I haven’t found these do anything positive for the planets, but I can now get a yellow sun. An orange sun… even blue, green or pink 😀

• Like 1

I am not bothered by what colour the Sun appears, just to see most detail so I use a Herschel Wedge, binoviewers and a Baader 7.5nm Continuum filter 👍

Similar. Baader Coolwedge II with 7.5nm continuum. The contrast and detail is quite something. Not really bothered about it being green. Sunspots and sun are black and white anyway.

D5H_12842048.thumb.jpg.c129d51d60592861563daa61278db89c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Similar. Baader Coolwedge II with 7.5nm continuum. The contrast and detail is quite something. Not really bothered about it being green. Sunspots and sun are black and white anyway.

D5H_12842048.thumb.jpg.c129d51d60592861563daa61278db89c.jpg

Did you notice any difference between the older 10nm and newer 7.5nm continuum filter Michael?

7 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Did you notice any difference between the older 10nm and newer 7.5nm continuum filter Michael?

No. I don't think there's much in it.

• Thanks 1