Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RACI finder cope recommendations please

Hi

Can anybody please recommend a right angle correct image finderscope for a Celestron 6" SCT tube please.  If it needs a simple swqp for the stock rdf finder mount then fine but I do not want to get into drilling holes etc. 

I was looking at a Celestron 9x50 Illuminated RA/CI Finderscope but don't want to go down the BRAND rabbit hole if it is not necessary or indeed the best route.  Furthermore would this be a tad too heavy for the 6"?

Thank you

Thanks for the replies guys but I am not sure about the mounting options as per original post.  No probs with adding a new bit to mount it as long as the holes line up - if that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Thanks for the replies guys but I am not sure about the mounting options as per original post.  No probs with adding a new bit to mount it as long as the holes line up - if that makes sense. 

The trick is to add a finder shoe that takes Skywatcher type finder feet but is compatible with the SCT tube holes. Here is one on e.bay (not my sale):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133773875263?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133773875263&targetid=1279902197899&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006567&poi=&campaignid=12125450102&mkgroupid=123976368138&rlsatarget=pla-1279902197899&abcId=9300480&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZW7sqKz8QIVF5ftCh2y-wN-EAQYByABEgIGvPD_BwE

I've a Skywatcher 6x30 on my 127 mak, and an astro essentials 9x50 on my dob, the 6x30 seems better suited to the physical size of the mak, but (unless things have changed since last I looked) there isn't a small RACI to be seen for sale new anywhere in the UK at the mo.

If your base is not the standard 'slide the foot in' base used by many manufacturers, Baader make a very neat shoe with slotted base which can be used with a range of hole spacings , I'll find the link in a moment , I recently bought one from FLO to use standard finders on a Bresser 'scope which has a proprietary shoe.

Heather

49 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Finder: APM, hands down the BEST finder I have. 
https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/optical-accessories/finder--pointer/apm-finderscope-50-mm-90-erect-image--24mm-reticle-eyepiece-55.html

they have other options too, might want to look into that so it fits your scope.

Not Correct Image  though.

Edited by Starslayer

12 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Not Correct Image  though.

I think it is. The cut off corner of the prism is the giveaway - that produces an upright image with left and right the correct orientation. The vendors description states "..The included 90° prism provides an upright and unreversed image...."

They just don't use the RACI term.

I use the Skywatcher 9x50 and 6x30 RACI's and they do a good job though for a lot less £'s than the APM.

Edited by John

9 minutes ago, John said:

I think it is. The cut off corner of the prism is the giveaway - that produces an upright image with left and right the correct orientation. The vendors description states "..The included 90° prism provides an upright and unreversed image...."

They just don't use the RACI term.

I use the Skywatcher 9x50 and 6x30 RACI's and they do a good job though for a lot less £'s than the APM.

Ok thank you

I had a Celestron 9x50 RACI left over from my C9.25. I found the tube fitted the Skywatcher holder perfectly. I did find the eyepiece FOV disappointing so I fastened in an eyepiece from a Skywatcher 6x30. With my bright skies I don't need it to be illuminated.