Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SVBONY SV503 102ED f7 - any experience?

It is probably same as this (and number of other scopes branded differently):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4964_TS-Optics-ED-102-mm-f-7-Refractor-Telescope-with-2-5--R-P-focuser.html

It is FPL51 doublet, has some residual color (very small amount by all accounts) and is very good visual instrument. I know I would like one instead of regular 4" achromat - either short one at F/5 or long one at F/10 - it will give better image than both.

• Like 1

Availability for both types seems a bit... iffy? I am wondering for such a refractor as a a visual and solar instrument mostly (for moon and planets, I have a Skymax and a C9.25 already)

I guess that's not ideal for photographers, I suppose?

It seems that for shooting with OSC you want at least a triplet lens.

For monochrome sensors, I understand that's not a big deal, since you can refocus on every colour separately?

N.F.

11 hours ago, nfotis said:

I am wondering for such a refractor as a a visual and solar instrument mostly

I think it would do a good job as 4" all around visual instrument. Maybe not the best at high power / planetary, but otherwise better than your average 4" achromat. If you want very good high power views as well - there is version with FPL-53 glass, but it costs about 80% more.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9868_TS-Optics-Doublet-SD-Apo-102-mm-f-7---FPL53---Lanthan-Objective.html

(again, availability is issue - all gear seems to be affected to some extent)

11 hours ago, nfotis said:

I guess that's not ideal for photographers, I suppose?

It seems that for shooting with OSC you want at least a triplet lens.

For monochrome sensors, I understand that's not a big deal, since you can refocus on every colour separately?

In my view, even version with FPL-53 is not really suited for OSC. You can use it with special filters like Astronomik L2-L3.

This one with FPL-51 can be used with mono. Narrowband will work great, but even LRGB will need to use L3 for luminance as regular full spectrum luminance will be a bit blurry because of level of CA.

In absence of other option - I'd happily use it as imaging scope with a few tricks (I've used Skywatcher ST102 with some trick to produce decent images - so this will be way better experience).

• 4 months later...

Well, I succumbed on the temptation and ordered one via the SVBONY site, along with the 0.8 reducer/flattener, which promises to make it a quite good combination:

https://www.svbony.com/sv503-ed-telescope-sv193-focal-reducer-flattener/#F9359D-W9152D

As I don't have any DSO camera at the moment (only a planetary camera, and some dSLRs), I will be rather limited in my camera tests.

N.F.

It's my understanding that the FLO version isn't exactly the same (2.5" R&P focuser, while the SVBONY seems to have a 2" focuser, different glass), hence its higher price.

Because I don't have any refractor scope (my Canon telephoto lenses are different beasts), I cannot make a very informed comparison.

N.F.

Yes, the FLO version uses FPL-53 (and Lanthanum) instead of FPL-51, so better corrected for CA - but also costs a lot more. Though there's nothing wrong with the FPL-51 version - it should give very satisfying results.

Altair Astro has FPL-51 version and by the looks of it - it is more affordable than SVBONY model - at least for UK buyers

(not sure how VAT is handled - but AA version has no import duties and exVAT price is better than SVBONY):

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-ascent-102ed-f7-refractor-telescope-geared-focuser-468-p.asp

Only unknown is availability.

• 2 weeks later...

Received mine, direct from the SVBONY site, in a package deal with their 0.8x reducer/flattener.

Quite impressive-looking (and quite a bit larger than I expected, compared to a 400mm/5.6L lens).

Too cloudy/rainy, unfortunately. I may be able to test it tomorrow on some land targets.

N.F.

• Like 1

The weather is still quite variable, so I shot some indoor photos of the scope.

My observations (this is my first ever refractor):

- quite a plain packaging outside, quite good plastic cradle inside (a corner had been cut in order to fit the flattener/reducer package inside)

- Surprisingly large, the photos don't do it justice (I included a DSLR camera with a 70-200/2.8 lens and a soft drink, to give a sense of scale)

- The dual speed focuser side had its own plastic cover, I suppose that it's installed in order to protect it while in transit.

- No manual/documentation included. As this is a OTA only package (no diagonal, finder or eyepieces included), you are expected to know which end of the tube goes in front 🙂

- Subjectively, it feels quite well built (a few dust bunnies on the front elements were blown away easily). The focuser includes also a rotator, so you can frame your target as you well please. A built in retractable shield should help with reflections and dew. The large ED glass element in front has a greenish cast.

If I manage to find some time tomorrow, I hope to shoot some land targets at least.

Cheers,

N.F.

IMG_20211207_195028.jpg

IMG_20211207_195132.jpg

IMG_20211207_200242.jpg

IMG_20211207_200048.jpg

IMG_20211207_200506.jpg

IMG_20211207_200242.jpg

IMG_20211207_200408.jpg

IMG_20211207_200523.jpg

IMG_20211207_200556.jpg

IMG_20211207_200649.jpg

IMG_20211207_200818.jpg

IMG_20211207_201124.jpg

IMG_20211207_201425.jpg

IMG_20211207_201528.jpg

IMG_20211207_201843.jpg

• Like 4

On 04/12/2021 at 19:48, Toltec said:

Ordered one from Altair this morning. Slight mission creep, started looking at binoculars, then decided a cheap 100mm achro might be better and ended up with one of these...

Don't worry, that happens all the time 

(I sympathize, it has happened to me as well)

N.F.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nfotis said:

Don't worry, that happens all the time 

(I sympathize, it has happened to me as well)

N.F.

Arrived today, my wife has taken it surprisingly well :)

The Altair version does not have the focusser rotator, otherwise is is very much the same, there is a serial number on the objective ring, mine is 0063. I had about an hour last night that was clear enough to do a bit of binocular viewing, but it looks like it is going to be cloudy for a week now.