SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar: Tuesday 1st June 2021

TakMan

Don't know where you guys and girls get the time to process all this solar data!

Found time now for just one, from the 20+ files from Tuesday (still got Monday and Sunday to go through)!

AR2827, taken at 9.07am

Roughly 0.29"/Pixel

Best 100 frames from 3000, flat frame calibrated.

15582709_Bigspot.thumb.jpg.53ed179e880eb1d0273ae94fb000084e.jpg

2070417984_Bigspot_Inverted.thumb.jpg.ad2e439ad5abfd534f0622922e6da52b.jpg

Damian

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 12

Superb detail! :thumbsup:

What's this about needing time to process?
I process "live" while I am capturing 500 frame AVIs.
2 minutes tops? AS!3 + ImPPG + PhotoFiltre7.
What do you mean it shows?!!? 🤣

• Haha 1

Thanks guys, pleased with the result as the capture conditions didn’t hint that the final image would be that good.

Nope, I don’t know how you do it ‘Rusted’, my MacBook runs very hot whilst imaging, even running a separate SSD drive (so I’m not hammering the one in the laptop).

I’m running AS!2 (couldn’t get v3 to work) and ImPPG  via WINE, so I presume it’s a bit slower than running native?

I don’t suppose it helps either that I’m putting 3000 separate.tif files (that’s my only save option using the Basler Pylon software on Mac), through it to process as well (I tried PIPP, but it constantly crashed when running under WINE on the Mac) and on an old i3 Windows DELL laptop (the machine I use outside to run my deep sky imaging gear), it was verrrrryyyyyy slow and often returned a result of 1 frame - for some reason not able to select the best 300 frames from 3000....

Finally, ‘Rusted’.... “it doesn’t show”, I use your posts to not only give me an idea what the seeing is like as you are usually up and running before most on SGL, but also what my results should look like - similar sized scope and 174 camera!

Clear skies,

Damian

• Haha 1

Am I allowed to point out that a W10 machine would make your imaging life so much easier. 😇
Using an "interpreter" to [badly] run well proven software is just being contrary. IMO. :grin:
We promise not to tell if you can break away from the Apple Cult.
Though we cannot guarantee that the MIBs wont come looking for you. 😏

I agree, I decided to learn how to sort the old DELL to run the deep sky stuff and after a few teething troubles, it does work a treat and gives me so many more features (plate solving being the big one) than what I’d been using under OSX.

At the moment though, my Mac is my fastest machine and I can achieve write speeds of 110fps @ Mono12p and 164fps @ Mono8. I use M12p because I don’t get the odd artefacts (in the dark areas once stretched), that I see from the Basler running in M8.

The Mac is also fully calibrated (along with the monitor), so design work prints as I see it on screen - colour calibration is a dark art as much as astro imaging (so I have a chap that sorts that for me!)

I also agree completely with regards to the ‘cult of Apple’, it’s rather pathetic seeing people queuing for the next phone release. My background is graphics and although software now runs on both the main platforms, once upon a time it didn’t. If you’d presented work to a professional printers with something from Windows, they’d have turned you away and laughed you off the premises!

Edited by TakMan

A detail from the surface... taken 9.03am

Sails.thumb.jpg.e70683e9d8e526a5899c25acbea03368.jpg

Sails_Inverted.thumb.jpg.1656239a88dcb794dd473d2546e0b3fd.jpg

Best 50 frames from 3000, visible in the upper middle section of the GONG image.

IMG_9469.thumb.JPG.7aacbbd55a0126b89c444572b11a2413.JPG

Enjoying going through the data and practising processing... This is the region that became AR2829, imaged around 11.30am. You can see it as a disturbance on the left of the limb on the GONG image.

1827248913_100frames25NewRegion.thumb.jpg.73c4b7a1e80ff4ae9e9498d2ece1e420.jpg

AR2829_1.thumb.gif.1a5349b416ef9fdd506c1fc8fe91a84e.gif

Edited by TakMan
Additional images added...
  • Like 1