Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2021 Challenge 5 - 30 second exposures

First light of Samyang 135 @ f2 on NGC7000, 185x30s lights, 30 flats, darks and darkflats. Imaged acquired 24/08 which I think has been this months second clear night all month for those of us here in the UK.  I chose the SHO PI trick where you take 60% of the red and 40% of the green to make a blue channel and combined back to create a SHO image using Pixel Math. 

Image is a little cropped in this was done to get a better composition, but also wide open at f2 was optimistic. I think going forwards I will stop the lens down to 2.8 or 4. 

135.thumb.jpg.7286b49d6d942e1a5d288bf571dfa59f.jpg

• Like 5

Here is my second offering to this challenge.

Fresh off the press from my first light session for my recently acquired ASI071 Camera.

104 x 30 sec. 250PDS newt, guided. Optolong L-Pro filter and Baader MPCC coma Corrector. Stacked in DSS and discombobulated in P.S.

This camera sees the full field of the big newt so vignetting was considerable. I took some flats on the hoof as dawn broke. They don't seem to be too good. Luckily AstroFlat Pro plug-in in P.S tidied it up.

Anyway, with an intro like that you'll be expecting something special.... Sorry! 

So I give you the Perseus Double Cluster

1006961823_DoubleCluster.thumb.jpg.f9f9e004f8f6aba68d33bb4534deba7c.jpg

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 2

This shot of NGC 7008, also known as the Foetus Nebula, was captured and processed 'live' in EEVA mode on 6th June using Jocular. It consists of 8 x 10s each of L, R, G and B taken with a Lodestar X2 mono guide camera attached to a Quattro 8" f4 scope mounted in alt-az mode on an AzEQ6 mount.

The nebula appears to consist of two shells which might be due to both members of a binary star expelling material one after the other. The nebula lies in a star-rich region in Northern Cygnus close to a colour-contrasting visual triple.

1042460437_NGC700829Aug21_19_05_08.jpg.b23e9bd0222af386c335dd9d434d6350.jpg

cheers

Martin

• Like 4

Here's another (and final) attempt from me, NGC 7023, the Iris Nebula, a first go at this target. I thought this would be a good one for 30 second exposures - with no filter this is probably around optimum with the RASA in my Bortle 3 skies. But I also needed no moon, and just managed to grab this early last night (29th Aug). I had various issues with the calibration and some strange artifacts coming from somewhere in the image train, but fortunately the large frame available allowed me to crop most of these problems out!

RASA 11 v2, CEM120, ASI2400MC Pro, IDAS ODW (clear filter - optical distance worker),  99 x 30 seconds.

Robin

Iris 210829 stretch.jpg

• Like 7

M27 Dumbbell with new Gear

Setting up my new mount and scope, guiding not ready so did 74 x 20 secs using my new WO 132FL plus ASI294MC with Optolong L_Pro. Mount not set up right so it stopped tracking at the Meridian, No flats (failed to capture and I didn't notice) 25 darks. Processed in Pixinsight. Pleased by the result with such short subs and integration time. M27W132NoFlat_ABE_CC.xisf
M27W132NoFl_DSe.thumb.jpg.914a5b28340946521479ea6c4b6fdf01.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MartinB said:

This challenge is now closed.  It has proved very popular with some outstanding images.  Results should be announced within the next couple of weeks

Thanks for putting this one together Martin was a lot of fun and great idea 👏

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...