Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting 9x50 Skywatcher RACI finderscope to Skywatcher Heritage 150P?

Hello, I’ve got a skywatcher heritage 150P and I wanted to replace the red dot finder with a RACI one.  I guess I should have checked but as both products are skywatcher I thought they’d be compatible but as you can see from the photos the 9x50 from FLO is too big. Does anyone know if there is a bracket I can order that doesn’t require me drilling into the telescope as I’ve seen is necessary with some?

I’ve emailed FLO but they’re shut until Tuesday so I wondered if anyone here had any advice?

Cheers, Isaac

BAC750F3-6660-438E-A7CD-6BCDD2D4A1E6.jpeg

D8C0CC70-62D4-4310-9240-0B100675EC62.jpeg

Isaac same as this - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/william-optics-vixen-style-finder-shoe-mounting-base.html

Or this - if you don't mind white - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/finder-mounting-shoe.html

The cheaper version is out of stock at FLO although you can find them on eBay.

If you look at the photo - near the top you will see 4 black tabs. These were original holes that i drilled but I did not like the finderscope placement. So I moved it further down.

32 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Isaac same as this - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/william-optics-vixen-style-finder-shoe-mounting-base.html

Or this - if you don't mind white - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/finder-mounting-shoe.html

The cheaper version is out of stock at FLO although you can find them on eBay.

If you look at the photo - near the top you will see 4 black tabs. These were original holes that i drilled but I did not like the finderscope placement. So I moved it further down.

Thanks Mark, I’ve ordered the white one “#Yorkshire” cheers.

DSC_8845.JPG

I drilled holes in my heritage dob (a process I admit that I found nerve wracking 😉  ) , but only after testing if the spot I thought best would work by attaching the shoe with a little patch of several 'no more nails permanent fixing pads' ... they actually did the job for a few weeks, I only removed them and drilled the holes when the  pads started to let the finder wobble.

Heather

By the way, that wonky thing in the centre of the dob base ? It's a magnet salvaged from an old speaker. I used it as a counterbalance when I had a mixture of very light & slightly heavier EPs , when not in use it stuck on the central nut.

Edited by Tiny Clanger
added postscript
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

DSC_8845.JPG

I drilled holes in my heritage dob (a process I admit that I found nerve wracking 😉  ) , but only after testing if the spot I thought best would work by attaching the shoe with a little patch of several 'no more nails permanent fixing pads' ... they actually did the job for a few weeks, I only removed them and drilled the holes when the  pads started to let the finder wobble.

Heather

Nice one, thats exactly how modifications should be done..

Alan

• Thanks 1

On such a short, light tube, I would recommend mounting the finder directly opposite (or slightly forward or back of, depending the RACI's CoG) the altitude bearing so as not to upset balance at any angle.

• Like 1