Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AR2824 and AR2825 in white light

zcapp96

I made a white light filter for my 150pds and managed to test it on Sunday for about 5 minutes until the battery on my laptop died (charger was broken and I hadn't noticed!). Would have liked to get more time to fiddle with the settings but seems to work well and will compliment my Daystar as we approach Solar maximum.  Taken with a ASI290mm, 5000 frames, best 50% stacked.

Sunspots.png

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

WOW! that is more detail than I thought was possible with white light, amazing and inspiring as I am looking at option for doing some solar imaging with my 102, great image!.

On a good day, that and quite a lot more is possible visually in my experience, using a  Herschel Wedge in a refractor.

Nice image @zcapp96 👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

WOW! that is more detail than I thought was possible with white light, amazing and inspiring as I am looking at option for doing some solar imaging with my 102, great image!.

Thank you! I was very surprised at the surface detail myself. The sun was very low at the time but was the first time I had seen it in weeks so went for it anyway! Looking forward to really pushing it in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

On a good day, that and quite a lot more is possible visually in my experience, using a  Herschel Wedge in a refractor.

Nice image @zcapp96 👍👍

Thank you! I'm very pleased with it so far and when I get more time in the summer I'm looking forward to really pushing it to the limits!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zcapp96 said:

The sun was very low at the time

Actually early morning and evening can be some of the best times to observe during the summer. In the heat of the day, the seeing can be pretty bad due to convection currents.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Actually early morning and evening can be some of the best times to observe during the summer. In the heat of the day, the seeing can be pretty bad due to convection currents.

That's a really good point, thanks for the tip! Never had to think about being too hot with my 'scopes before!

• Like 1