NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro and PHD2 Question

I've just acquired an HEQ5 Pro mount, connected via an EQDIR cable to my laptop.

I've installed the ASCOM platform and installed and connected EQMOD - which is able to slew the mount; either in response to EQMOD control or under instruction from Cartes Du Ciel. All well and good I think.

PHD2 connects to the mount correctly, pulse guiding is set up and I've set the Ascom PulseGuide settings to x0.9 (RA & Dec). For daytime testing I'm using a PHD2 simulator camera. 

BUT PHD2 fails in calibration - "star does not move enough in RA". Calibration steps are 1700ms. PHD2 IS able to move the mount in the draft align dialogue - so the connection is there, but manual control does not seem to move the mount - even at 5000ms pulses.

I'm stuck now - any suggestions are most welcome :)

Thanks

Clipboard-2.jpg

Clipboard-4.jpg

May sound like a daft question, but can you calibrate with a simulator? To carry out the calibration the mount has to move away from a star in the FOV - is this possible with a simulator? Maybe try with a real (or artificial) star.

14 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

It also looks like you're using an old v2.00 version, so I'd suggest that you update to the latest version i.e. v2.6.9dev5 (https://openphdguiding.org/development-snapshots/) which will also give you multi star guiding, which give a big improvement....

I think he is using multiple stars as per the screenshot, I can only see the EQMOD version as 2.0, Just checking so as to avoid any confusion....

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, you can't calibrate using the simulator. If you can manually slew using EQMOD, and if you've connected the mount in PHD2, then I think you'll need to wait for a clear night to continue!

• Like 1

I seem to remember testing calibration with a simulated star - but maybe I've mis remembered 😞

What I don't understand is how mount slewing IS possible from PHD2 via the drift align dialogue, but NOT from the manual control tool.

I'm on v 2.6.9dev4 btw😁