Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the longest you've gone without shooting due to weather?

Moved to Edinburgh from Norfolk, the skies there were just amazing and the skies in Edinburgh really not so much......at all, it actually makes me sad (mainly due to light pollution). I think there has been one semi clear night in the past 3 weeks and it was on a full moon. The weather up hear changes so drastically as well and I find it a bit difficult to know when to head out as I have to go find some where to lug my gear to go and shoot, I also have to get up really early for work so I'm even more reluctant at the moment and relegated to Friday/Saturday nights. 

• Sad 1

And now you are loosing astro darkness as well. Maybe next time you move you should consider somewhere like Arizona.🙂

I think it is the same in Northern Britain. Maybe 2/3 good nights a month on average. When the weather is settled you might get several nights in a row. At least you have got some nice lightweight gear so you can get out to dark skies.

April was extremely good, I was able to shoot 16 nights. Not 1 clear night in May so far. Though it won't get really dark till August again, I'll still try some NB imaging if there is a clear night.

• 2 weeks later...

My ”record” is about 7 months. Two years ago, I had a break due to the lack of astro darkness, followed by a very bad autumn. Add to that a busted knee. I didn’t start imaging until after new year, but hadn’t missed more than an occasional night. The weather was just awful that year.

On 25/05/2021 at 22:19, wimvb said:

My ”record” is about 7 months. Two years ago, I had a break due to the lack of astro darkness, followed by a very bad autumn. Add to that a busted knee. I didn’t start imaging until after new year, but hadn’t missed more than an occasional night. The weather was just awful that year.

That doesn't sound like a great accumulation of things at all.

Had a stunner of a day yesterday and was super hopeful for a clear night but then the clouds rolled big time, it seems to be a clear night tonight but sadly can't stay up on a Sunday night due to work tomorrow :(