NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does my neq6 pro mount sound ok or do I need to tamper with it?

Before upgrading my mount to the Rowan belt mod kit the other day it sounded terrible pure coffee grinding noise on both axis, there was also a knocking noise when you hit the keypad. I followed the installation instructions to a tee with 99% accuracy. Now then, from the video below can I deal with the current sounds, will it severely effect my tracking and guiding? The knocking is there slightly but it could be nothing, if anyone has had experience with this mod and the mount and they can determine the problem just by sound that would be great thanks. The RA has no give/backlash at all and the DEC is very slight.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl72

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Is it the mount making the 'clicking' noise, which is what I'm supposing that you're concerned about ??, or is it the equipment fitted that is 'settling' ??

I don't hear any clicking, it's the tapping/knocking noise when you press the keys on RA that's most concerning, nothing wrong with the new mod I don't think. Just figuring out if the noise is normal and acceptable for me to start imaging.

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Is it the mount making the 'clicking' noise, which is what I'm supposing that you're concerned about ??, or is it the equipment fitted that is 'settling' ??

Yes I hear the ticking too.... sounds ok other than that, if it’s comimg from the mount and not a clicking mouse....😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Sounds like a knocking sound to me, the stepper motors do make a unique sound but this sounds different.. check that the belts aren't catching anything first 

around the 38 second mark is the knocking/tapping. I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart to check the belts, cos then i have to put it together again and probably do the same thing, unless i can see from the viewer screws

7 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

around the 38 second mark is the knocking/tapping. I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart to check the belts, cos then i have to put it together again and probably do the same thing, unless i can see from the viewer screws

The knocking sound I'm hearing are earlier than that 9,12 ,24

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just done this mod myself and I don’t get the ticking noise.  I just wonder if the noise is the cog skipping over the belt teeth? You should be able to loosen the pulley plate to adjust the belt tension without taking too much apart.

You might be just on the edge of binding between the worm and the gear on which ever axis you are getting this noise on.

If this is the cause of the knocking noise, probably the best first step is to slacken off the the worm end float adjuster a bit, if you have the mesh well adjusted giving the worm a little extra room can alleviate possible binding. If that doesn't help you may need to adjust the worm/gear mesh.

Steve