Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Never sure whether to put these here or in the photography section.  Anyway my first ever attempt at a two pane pano...

Taken with my standard 6D and a Samyang 24mm lens @F/2.8, each at 20 seconds, ISO 6400.  Two landscape images merged and cropped to portrait.  Edited in RawTherapee and then stitched and edited in GIMP.  Definitely some squiffy stars but I'm quite happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sowy_River

Sowy_Orion_Low_Sig.jpg

• Like 17

12 hours ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Never sure whether to put these here or in the photography section.

The other photography section is for non Astro imaging. 

You've done a really nice reflection image. Just the kind of thing I like :)

Dave.

• Thanks 1

What davew says :) ☝️

The levels!! Can't believe I haven't thought of going to the levels; it's only an hour away up the M5! Now that lockdown is gradually easing I feel a need to go visit my sister in law who lives in the vicinity..

Actually - given how dry it's been I'm guessing the water levels have dropped a bit?

James

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, James said:

given how dry it's been I'm guessing the water levels have dropped a bit?

Thanks for the comment James.  We're only 5mAOD here so it never really drops (well I'm 9mAOD, so when the ice caps melt I'll have a water-front property, a bit like 2014).  The River Parrett is tidal so the big drains like Kings Sedgemoor and the Sowy usually stay reasonably high, not dropping much below the level in the picture.  King Sedgemoor Drain runs south to north so would make a good candidate for a milky way reflection picture when the core is more upright... Something to stay up for on a still evening.

4 hours ago, James said:

I feel a need to go visit my sister in law who lives in the vicinity..

Pop a bunch of ZWO gear in your boot and drop it off at mine if you're passing, I could do with a dedicated astro-cam to link to my ASIAir Pro...  I promise I won't tell anyone! 😉

4 hours ago, James said:

The levels!! Can't believe I haven't thought of going to the levels; it's only an hour away up the M5!

Most of the levels are bortle 4 and there are nice hills to the south that mask some of the local light pollution.  If you're a twitcher there's plenty to see too, not my forte but I see a pair of Marsh Harriers most day's on my lunchtime wander, just need a decent zoom lens to get some photos.

That's a lovely image Jody.  Right up my street!!  The reflections are fantastic.

The levels definitely remind me of here in the Fens - would love to explore them one day.  I frequently drive past on the way to the far south west.

Glad it's not just me to struggles to know where to post nightscape images!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

That's a lovely image Jody.  Right up my street!!  The reflections are fantastic.

Thanks for your kind comment Paul.  It was ever-so still that night and bordering on frosty, hence the rolling fog. 

3 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

The levels definitely remind me of here in the Fens - would love to explore them one day.

I've not visited the Fens I imagine they are quite similar, miles of flat land with interspersed drainage ditches and pumping stations?  Probably similar wildlife too.

• Like 1