Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full Moon - 26th April 2021

Stu

I’m afraid I don’t buy into all this ‘Pink Fluffy Super Duper Moon’ business! Perhaps I’m just a grumpy old man, but to me it was just a nice full moon!

Technically it was at 99.9% illumination, so there was still a tiny sliver of terminator visible. I popped out quickly with the Telementor, just wanting to have a quick look; I must say this little scope is getting a lot of use these days, so easy to setup and it gives excellent results. It is perfectly sufficient for identifying many lunar features, and with the Leica Zoom gives between x47 and x94 which is very handy.

These are hand held iPhone 11Pro shots, taken as usual using ProCam 8, and processed using PS Express.

@PeterW alerted me to the possibility of seeing Mare Orientale, and I believe I did see it successfully. I captured it in the cropped image at higher power (using the x2 camera on my phone), and have highlighted it here to confirm where I think it was. Any confirmations or otherwise welcomed.

6FACA3CA-0468-44F4-8CC3-468966EC6298.jpeg

91760022-926B-4D4E-9338-7D5B5EEA8B2B.jpeg

20E84268-6AF8-4F0E-A79F-B151D043B4F8.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

...and nice pic by the way to say they were done with your phone.  Overexposed though but hard to control that on an iPhone.

Thanks. Nah, this one is overexposed! Actually I thought they were ok, I can control the exposure quite well with ProCam 8, that’s about where I thought I looked best. It did still show a few small areas a saturated though. I was only using a tiny scope, that’s my excuse 😉

F5C9C636-D7CD-44AE-B85B-B07645F43260.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, banjaxed said:

I am a bit confused as my info states that the full moon is tonight.

Full moon was actually 4.39am this morning according to SkySafari. My shot was taken at 99.9% illumination, tonight will be 99.0%, so slightly less full. Will still look full to the naked eye, and just a very thin terminator through a scope.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Full moon was actually 4.39am this morning according to SkySafari. My shot was taken at 99.9% illumination, tonight will be 99.0%, so slightly less full. Will still look full to the naked eye, and just a very thin terminator through a scope.

Thank you for your explanation, I am not confused any more 👌

• Like 1