Problems with PHD2, first time guiding!

11 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

Surely just centering an object with the handset wont keep the mount's go-to perfect and always centered when i go to different objects throughout the night, I've heard I need to plate solve.

Centreing a target with the handset then SYNCHing will improve the mount's skymap.

Centre and Synch a star near your target, then a GoTo the target should be spot on.

Or you can PlateSolve.

Michael

21 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl72 said:

I'm pulse guiding, and I've always been told after the first star align you do the clutches then the hand set. Then on the 2nd star you just do the hand set and you're done. But now that I started using all of these programs and not the hand set things are surely different. Surely just centering an object with the handset wont keep the mount's go-to perfect and always centered when i go to different objects throughout the night, I've heard I need to plate solve.

Sorry but I don't get why you would want to do that, I've heard about it being done and suggest it's really bad practice. The first star of the alignment will always be out, it's supposed to be.. that's the whole point of star aligning, telling it where it is

The second part of your answer tells you why it isn't accurate.. the more accurately you star align the more accurate your goto of the sky will be

Yeah sure plate solving is a game changer, but if you've missed the basics what happens when the software don't work, which does happen

13 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Centreing a target with the handset then SYNCHing will improve the mount's skymap.

Centre and Synch a star near your target, then a GoTo the target should be spot on.

Or you can PlateSolve.

Michael

I'm not sure how to sync the target via the computer, I always synced on a bright star near my object by pressing the esc key and then holding the button down till it says 're-centering'