NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super Solar Sunday

Roy Challen

Lovely afternoon! Get the Daystar out! Warmed up, let’s see what’s happening.

There’s a nice AR roughly central, three spots immediately obvious. A nice filament down south, pointing to a small but bright prom. Several proms on the western limb, one looking like it’s looping over.

The Transit prom from the past couple of days looks like it’s devolved into two smaller proms. There’s also a large triangular prom up north, but it’s quite faint. Tuning to the right helps a bit.

But what's happening to the Transit? The two ‘horns’ are starting to join up! OMG, they’re forming a huge loop! Right in front of me! I’ve never seen this before, and it’s truly amazing. I even had to get an eraser to change my sketch. Surely someone else saw this happen, I didn't just imagine it. Did I? That's not something I'll forget any time soon, I actually saw something move in space, millions of miles away! 

7DMsrX52NgZdAjNLlgXatzNB0AYEYOXW0im2tGXbOPj1GG8xC-cKSuNpzegvVCJCzCOJrcLN_GZoppcRo6JCdYDCp-34IPzqc7sm6gefkoNVA8UJdN0DffPu5eNOkRy7mpBkTfgl

Edited by Roy Challen
Got my east and west mixed up
  • Like 7

Sounds amazing @Roy Challen! I’m not observing today (yet!), but i know what you mean. It’s incredible when you can see changes in real time in the prominences. Last year I watched two blobs of plasma falling back down to the surface, most amazing thing I’ve seen in Ha definitely. Makes me wish I had put the scope out now!!

• Like 1

Nice one, Roy! I've had to skip the solar fun today as I've been feeling a bit ropey following my vaccine jab last night. I hope/feel like it's starting to lift a bit now (not the prom!) I did manage some lovely lunar views though last night, still buzzing about those.

It took me a while to appreciate how quickly things can develop on the sun.

• Like 1