Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy book for kids

Kon

My son is really interested in my hobby and he wants me to get him an astronomy book; he is 6 years old. He likes science and asks questions about nebulas, black holes, where does universe come from, the kind of curiosity questions. So, are there any astronomy books that you recommend for children (it could be for older than 6 years old) or maybe for a total novice (I can help him with explanations). At that age he will probably enjoy some nice pics as well. He enjoys my Turn Left at Orion.

I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. (By the way, I could not find any book section in SGL and it would be good to have a section dedicated to books.)

I don't know what it's like, but it seems that Ladybird books still publish kids books.  https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/315/315330/a-ladybird-book--the-solar-system/9780241417133.html They historically did one called 'The Night Sky', but that is only around second-hand and may have out of date information in it (I've got that one on my shelf), but I expect the one I linked to is up to date.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fifeskies said:

A great little book written by an 8yo astronomy fan.

Nice photos and some of Aston's own drawings.

Only £5 and worth every penny.

Very easy read for children.

The Solar System by Aston Smith | First Light Optics

That's a really good book, and brilliant for kids. 

I do wonder if Aston raised enough money to get a nice scope.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

If your son is interested in learning the constellations and the names of the bright stars, I recommend "The stars, a new way to see them" by H A Rey.  It also contains the rudiments of the earth's rotation, the seasons, celestial co-ordinates,  etc .  It's not up-to-date, but it doesn't need to be.

• Thanks 1