Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first burning meteor, and satellite.

powerlord

I imagine these are old hat to you lot, but last night, sitting out in a cloudless sky on the east coast looking to the north, I was caught off guard as a sudden red flash and bright red dot moved across from east to west and burned out.

I think I'd seen my first honest to god proper meteor.

A bit later while aligning my ASI224 on Mars, I then saw my first satellite moving across my fov.

As a newby numpty, they were pretty cool new experiences.

• Like 15

Not old hat to me, I'm also new to the hobby but over the years I've spent enough time outdoors to see plenty. The amazement never leaves me. I even happened to see the recent fireball that made the news and another a while before. Satellites will probably become routine, I rarely see none and the novelty of those has worn off a little.

Edited by wulfrun
typo
  • Like 1

Our best was last summer when mrsG and I were out  - me with a small refractor and her with a pair of binoculars.

We were looking at things around Sagittarius and both happened to be looking at M22 when a short bright meteor went right by it. 

I'm pretty sure it is the first time that I've viewed a meteor through an eyepiece, so for us both to do so with the same one, was pretty special.

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, powerlord said:

I imagine these are old hat to you lot, but last night, sitting out in a cloudless sky on the east coast looking to the north, I was caught off guard as a sudden red flash and bright red dot moved across from east to west and burned out.

I think I'd seen my first honest to god proper meteor.

A bit later while aligning my ASI224 on Mars, I then saw my first satellite moving across my fov.

As a newby numpty, they were pretty cool new experiences.

Observing meteors never gets old. Nature's freebie fireworks. I've not viewed a red one. Lots of common white streaks, a very bright green once and a fantastic white fireball streaking across the sky last year. That one actually startled me as it initially streaked right to left through my binoculars before I excitedly continued watching naked eye.

I hope you see many more, and that pesky satellites don't ruin your pics!

What time was this? I was out taking a few widefield shots between 2100-23.30. I do seem to remember something made me glance east, but it must of burned up by then. I took a wide-angle and my camera in a lowepro rucksack and cycled a couple of miles from town to take some photos. 

When first cycling out of town it seems quite dark, until your eyes adapt. Then when you leave the shutter open for 20secs, it becomes clear it's light pollution in all directions!

Only saw one meteor in the west, it was mediocre though.

Edited by scotty1