NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan V4 restarting when observing.

Hello, first time writing here so please do say if I need more info in the comments. I got a Sky-watcher Star discovery 150 Alt-az. I got everything set up but when after finishing allignment and viewing an object, when I want to look at another it moves to the object and restarts. Its not random, it always turns off and on when going to the second object, it doesnt matter which object it is. Week ago it was crashing when alligning to a second brightest star. I saw some posts about it but they were all talking about it crashing randomly and the comments said to try a new power cord. I never used one I was running it on 8 AA batteries. The software versions is second to the latest and the latest version doesnt look so nice. 

Edit: The fix was using a 12v charger. Since I bought it I had no problems.

Edited by NewToSynscan

Firstly replace the batteries with a proper +12v power supply. If you insist on using batteries, get a fresh set of Duracells.  8 for £1 from Poundland won't be powerful enough.  Stalling while moving is also typically caused by some bad-contact cable issue.

Don't rush to update the firmware - it never causes this sort of problem.  If you try updating the mount with suspect power or cables, you could kill your mount permanently.

11 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you try updating the mount with suspect power or cables, you could kill your mount permanently.

I understand all you are saying and suspect that, but I dont really understand this part. I update the controller by disconnecting it and connecting it using a printer usb cable. Thanks for the other advice.

11 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Firstly replace the batteries with a proper +12v power supply.

I was thinking of that but shops near me dont have that an ordering online is not worth it. I have a laptop charger that has the same connection though it is 18v. Im not really knowleged in voltage and how much is needed so will that be safe to use. If not I'll sacrifice the 10 euros and buy it online.

1 hour ago, NewToSynscan said:

I have a laptop charger that has the same connection though it is 18v. Im not really knowleged in voltage

An +18v charger will most likely kill your mount. 

Ubdating the firmware is unlikely to be as simple as connecting a USB lead, and as I said this is unlikely to fix the problem.  Firmware update is not a cure all.