Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stunning Sights

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! After being out of action for a week due to cloud cover, I was presented with a nice clear sky. I had build up a list of targets I have been waiting to see, and I was in extremely lucky to see them all!

NGC 3242 Ghost of Jupiter: Found and observed this stunning planetary nebula in Hydra first, wowee what a stunner! Deep green when I stared directly at it.

NGC 2261 Hubble's Variable Nebula: Another stunner! Fan shapped nebulosity with a hint of the protostar R Monocerotis which is the source of illumination. Incredible feeling for me realising this is a very very young star still forming. My first ever observation of a protostar😊

NGC 5128 Centaurus A:  Beautiful sight, this galaxy is just a few degrees from Omega Centauri. Dark lane clearly visible.

NGC 5189 Spiral Planetary Nebula: Bright and unusual planetary in Musca, shaped like a galaxy. Definitely not your typical planetary!

M104 Sombrero Hat Galaxy: The star hop to find this galaxy from Algorab in Corvus is amazing! It's like a highway of stars with a arrow shape pointing the way right to it. A true wow moment for me seeing it for the first time, clearly elongated with dust lane visible.

M87. Didn't have much luck hunting galaxies in Virgo region but I did locate the giant elliptical galaxy M87. I have always wanted to see it now I finally got it! A thrill!

Closed my nights session with a look at Graffias, double star in the claw of Scorpius. Nice split and a pleasing sight. Very satisfying session as I mostly found my targets for a change! Clear skies to you all.

Joe

• Like 13

Hi Joe. Nice report. I was also observing The Ghost of Jupiter last night though it’s quite low in my sky and right in the glare of light pollution. It’s a lovely planetary. I tried it with both a UHC and OIII filter, both made it jump out quite well 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Great report Joe. I liked your description of getting to the Sombrero- it's a good star hop and a great sight when you get there 

Thanks Bob, I've had some interesting star hops previously, but this one takes the cake!

Screenshot_2021-04-11-21-00-31-28~2.png

1 hour ago, Epick Crom said:

this one takes the cake!

Just laughing at myself...

Your star hop sounds identical to mine but is 180 degrees in the opposite direction. What an amazing coincidence, I thought, that similar asterisms of stars exist around the same target in opposite directions.

Then I spotted your location. 🤦‍♂️🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Just laughing at myself...

Your star hop sounds identical to mine but is 180 degrees in the opposite direction. What an amazing coincidence, I thought, that similar asterisms of stars exist around the same target in opposite directions.

Then I spotted your location. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Yeah Bob I'm down under, so "down under" view 🤣