Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Musk's litter

Cyril

More of Musks litter heading skywards today, who actually gave him permission to launch these satelittes?

While it was annouched last week that in the north of Scotland thay have been setting up sites to access the data from the satellites.

Edited by Cyril

• 1 month later...

To be fair..his Starlink sats have only been an issue once for me and only for a few subs. 

I'm on the fence with this. Yes, it seems excessive, but if it allows people in remote areas to have internet access, then that is good..

Time will tell.

• Like 1

They are a curse

I took an image a few months ago with 5 trails in it

And it going to get worse

Look at light pollution, streetlights point everywhere except downwards

Nothing much has happened there

Next there are going to be a dozen other companies doing the same

Finally the moon will be defaced by mining ventures

On 09/04/2021 at 21:01, Cyril said:

More of Musks litter heading skywards today, who actually gave him permission to launch these satelittes?

While it was annouched last week that in the north of Scotland thay have been setting up sites to access the data from the satellites.

I believe it was the Federal Communications Commission that granted permission to launch the satellites.

I dread to think what it will be like when they reach their goal of tens of thousands of satellites. And that doesn't include the others launching theirs in the future...Amazon etc.... a light frame will probably look like a flat in years to come as all the satellite trails will merge into a solid white background! 🤪😩

Edited by Jonny_H

I think it's a shame to blight the night sky with endless satellites. It is just another example of pollution. Having said that, I don't think one can stand in the way of progress. We had better all invest in software to remove satellite trails because it is only going to get worse.

3 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

I think it's a shame to blight the night sky with endless satellites. It is just another example of pollution. Having said that, I don't think one can stand in the way of progress. We had better all invest in software to remove satellite trails because it is only going to get worse.

Perhaps the companies who are responsible for putting the stuff into orbit should feel beholden to pool their resources and develop a freeware programme for that purpose?

2 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Perhaps the companies who are responsible for putting the stuff into orbit should feel beholden to pool their resources and develop a freeware programme for that purpose?

I think we should let Mr Musk focus on getting to Mars, even If this is what he needs to do to create a revenue stream for his endeavor.

I'm certain that the software will become available when there is sufficient demand for it, as with all things. Until then, we will all have to take shorter exposures and throw more of them out. There is nothing else to do about it.

I was out the other night with a pair of binos (1st time in the whole of May because of the weather), looking at Hercules for an hour or so I must have had 20 satellites pass through my FOV.

On 23/05/2021 at 05:19, MKHACHFE said:

To be fair..his Starlink sats have only been an issue once for me and only for a few subs. 

I'm on the fence with this. Yes, it seems excessive, but if it allows people in remote areas to have internet access, then that is good..

Time will tell.

Musk told us that he wanted to provide 'cheap' internet access to remote people, $99 dollars a month is not cheap for many poorer people, he aims to recoup around $38 billion in three years for his investors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyril said:

Musk told us that he wanted to provide 'cheap' internet access to remote people, $99 dollars a month is not cheap for many poorer people, he aims to recoup around $38 billion in three years for his investors.

Well, you may well be correct. I don't know. I'll have to look into it. 

Im no musk fanboy. Like everyone, he's done some amazing things and also some stupid things. 

As for him making so much money..well yes, it's obscene. It is, but one could say that he took the risks, took the gambles and worked hard and won big. 

I don't begrudge anyone their fortunes as long as they pay their taxes and gained it from the ground up.

On a less serious note, seeing a Starlink train is pretty cool 😁