NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Late season Orion widefield

Last Saturday I spent a few hours atop Dunkery Hill on Exmoor testing out my newly modified Canon 6D, well worth freezing me knackers off.  Caught a bit of Zodiacal light in the frame too.  Shot with said Canon and a Samyang 24mm stopped down to f/2.8.  Background tracked on an Omegon mini track LX3.

2nd shot is of the zodiacal light with a standard 6D and a 14mm Samyang at f/3.5'ish as it's a cine lens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkery_Hill

Beacon_Orion_Low (2).jpg

Zodiac_Stack_Low.jpg

• Like 10

13 hours ago, faulksy said:

bernards loop showing its face as well , nice

Thanks Faulksy.  Took a bit of stretching and curve manipulation to bring it out.  Despite Exmoor being a Bortle 3 the bright lights of Barnstaple on the horizon had a bit of an impact!

7 minutes ago, davew said:

Very nicely done. 

Proving the 6D, in the right hands, is still one of the best cameras out there for this stuff,

Dave.

Thanks Dave, my hands (when linked to my brain correctly) are slowly learning the techniques, I never thought I'd say it but YouTube is a wonderful teacher!  They are great cameras, especially as they are becoming more reasonably priced, well when you compare them to the Sony A7 series cameras that is.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Both very nice images,  did you modify the 6d yourself? Considering having mine done. 

Thank you.  No I chose not to risk it so sent it to Andy at Astronomiser.  He did a great job, quick and reasonably priced.  Apparently the 6D can be a real pain to put back together if it's taken a knock or two during its lifetime, if in good condition it should be no problem.