Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Canon DSLR should I buy?

11 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Update ! @Yellow dwarf  @Tan Zhi Qi I have just found out that the latest version of Deep Sky Stacker has problems with 60D and 600D, (amongst others) so if that software was in your thinking beware !

Thanks, Corncrake for the update. Just too bad, DSS is the stacking software that I always use! Where can I read about this problem DSS have with 600d? 

Edited by Tan Zhi Qi

1 hour ago, Tan Zhi Qi said:

Thanks, Corncrake for the update. Just too bad, DSS is the stacking software that I always use! Where can I read about this problem DSS have with 600d? 

Something to do with LibRaw, I have not fully digested yet, thought I had best do a quick one here before life changing decisions were made !! I wonder if it might be ok if the RAWs were instead first converted to TIFF with something else ??

https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases/tag/4.2.5

EOS 1D Mark IV
EOS 5D Mark II
EOS 7D
EOS 60D
EOS 550D
EOS 600D
EOS 1200D

EDIT :
Looks like it happened  somewhere about 4.2.4 or a Beta version of that.
4.2.3 is still available here https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases/tag/4.2.3-Release

I have asked in the software forum if there is a portable version of the latest, to try it. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/375621-deep-sky-stacker-upgrade-from-410/?do=findComment&comment=4071475

Edited by Corncrake
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corncrake said:

Something to do with LibRaw, I have not fully digested yet, thought I had best do a quick one here before life changing decisions were made !! I wonder if it might be ok if the RAWs were instead first converted to TIFF with something else ??

https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases/tag/4.2.5

EOS 1D Mark IV
EOS 5D Mark II
EOS 7D
EOS 60D
EOS 550D
EOS 600D
EOS 1200D

EDIT :
Looks like it happened  somewhere about 4.2.4 or a Beta version of that.
4.2.3 is still available here https://github.com/deepskystacker/DSS/releases/tag/4.2.3-Release

I have asked in the software forum if there is a portable version of the latest, to try it. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/375621-deep-sky-stacker-upgrade-from-410/?do=findComment&comment=4071475

I have found lots of third party software that struggles with certain versions of Canon RAW, its usually the latest models though but the easy fix is to use Adobe DNG (digital negative) converter which can batch process all your files in one go. DNG format is the universally accepted standard for RAW files.

Alan

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have found lots of third party software that struggles with certain versions of Canon RAW, its usually the latest models though but the easy fix is to use Adobe DNG (digital negative) converter which can batch process all your files in one go. DNG format is the universally accepted standard for RAW files.

Thanks I'll check it out. Not normally a fan of Adobe but hey, any port in a storm ;) !

When I get a moment I'll have to look around at where Dave Coffin is, his DCRAW used to be the goto place for 'regular' raw photography processing and many processors.

5 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Thanks I'll check it out. Not normally a fan of Adobe but hey, any port in a storm ;) !

When I get a moment I'll have to look around at where Dave Coffin is, his DCRAW used to be the goto place for 'regular' raw photography processing and many processors.

Its very good and free, there are several conversion methods available too.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

36 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its very good and free, there are several conversion methods available too.

So are we saying that DSS will still accept other formats (Tiff,Fits DNG etc?) provided we are ok with converting first and not relying on the internal Libraw to do the heavy lifting? And that  @Yellow dwarf and @Tan Zhi Qi can still go ahead with their choice of cam (600 or whatever) without fear ?

Maybe this next should go into the software forum, but we are here ! :):-

Well this is a bit odd, DCRAW seems to be still there (but seems to have dropped his capitalisation now ) with all its usual guis (Rawtherpe, UFraw etc, and even a plugin for Gimp) so I wonder why DSS have chosen LibRaw.

LibRaw(open source) is even based on Dcraw(open source)
"LibRaw is a free and open-source software library for reading raw files from digital cameras. It supports virtually all raw formats. It is based on the source code of dcraw" from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibRaw
and DSS is open source as well, curious, ,,,

3 hours ago, Corncrake said:

Update ! @Yellow dwarf  @Tan Zhi Qi I have just found out that the latest version of Deep Sky Stacker has problems with 60D and 600D, (amongst others) so if that software was in your thinking beware !

The way i read it is it is to do with your calibration frames, if you have a library of calibration frames you normally use before the update then they will no longer work so you need to make a fresh set, So not really a major issue, a pain in the rear yes but nothing drastic, 

i still use my Canon 600d with it without any problems

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corncrake said:

Something to do with LibRaw, I have not fully digested yet ...

The last release of DSS used the latest version of LibRaw which for some cameras results in images of slightly different sizes to those created using the previous version of LibRaw, so any existing calibration images became incompatible requiring new calibration images to be created (the same thing happened when DSS changed from DCRaw to LibRaw).

(I believe DCRaw was dropped because it was no longer being updated to support newer cameras.)

Edited by Seelive
Add reason for change
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Thanks @JemC and @Seelive , all becomes clear :thumbsup:

since I have not yet dabbled in the black arts of calibration frames etc I'll stop worrying :)

It would be nice to have a portable version though 🤣

Portable as in tablet or phone? if so might be worth giving Affinity Photo a look, the PC and Mac versions can edit any RAW and do Astro Stacking too but not sure about the cut down mobile versions.

Alan

11 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Portable as in tablet or phone?

Ah, yes, no, sorry, I meant portable as in not needing an installation into windoze and thereby perhaps messing with old one already there*. To test in its own world of a folder(directory) of its own, even on a USBstick folder.

*like my old 4.1.0 that I only just got going last night after having it around for a little while (well actually, just got round to thinking imaging after 65+ years of visual ! Dog and new tricks etc. ?)

Edited by Corncrake

7 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Ah, yes, no, sorry, I meant portable as in not needing an installation into windoze and thereby perhaps messing with one already there*. To test in its own world of a folder(directory) of its own, even on a USBstick folder...

Yes, unfortunately it appears you can only install / run 1 version of DSS at a time but as most (if not all?) previous versions of DSS are available on GITHUB you can easily back-track if you need to.

• Like 1